I need ideas for game simulation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
We're a MS team with 13 players. Half are 6th graders with less than two years experience, a few 7th and a few 8th graders, only two of which have more than two years experience. Last year 3/4 of our team had never played at all and it was brutal. This year our practices showed a much better team. We were invited to a tournament last weekend. We started pool play against a catholic school full of recruited 8th grade linebacker types with a pitcher clocked at a legit 61 during the game (they won it all), with razor precision. They put 16 hits on us (not the least bit surprising) with a three inning 15 run mercy, but we made almost every routine play presented, and they never had to step off the base to end an inning. Our cut throws were almost flawless, and they took care of the ball. Made great decisions. We were really excited about it, because we'll never see a MS team like that this season.

In the first bracket game we played the same way, and it was a one run loss. Our first losers bracket game we won 10 - 1, and in our last game, which was against the eventual third place team, we played almost mistake free again and it was tied up until they scored 4 in their last at-bat. Overall, we were very satisfied with the way things went, because the two public school teams that beat us are similar to what we'll see in our district.

Then came official game #1 this past Thursday. A very beatable team, similar in skill level, and we got waxed. It was brutal. Almost no hitting. Decent pitching on our side for the most part, but error after error on routine plays. They really only had three real hits. Everything else was field errors, terrible cut throws, one handed catches with balls hitting the pocket and popping out, and abysmal ball protection. The JV game went about the same.

Second game was last night. In addition to the exact same bad defense, this team demolished the ball. 18 hits off the same pitcher and most of them were rockets. I give them all the credit for that. We never had a team in or out of our district do that to us last year. I think it even surprised them. In the field they were maybe slightly better than us, but nothing special. We actually did hit the ball some against their fairlyaverage pitcher (threw 45 or so. Pretty consistently in the zone), but a lot of it was just dinkers. We're very aware we need better hitting. That much was taken away from the tournament, but half of them had really never faced a pitcher in a game, so we expected hitting to improve. Most of them can make contact fine in practice. It's been more about judging speed.

But we were just floored at how bad our defense was on routine stuff. It was like a different team. And we're just scratching our heads now, trying to think of a way to replicate that pressure. I honestly thought we had already done that. We speed up the practices quite a bit, and create that sense of chaos to get them past panic. But I think they still know it's just practice, and I think at the tournament they were more focused simply because of the environment. We had never played any of those teams.

So after this long story...can anyone suggest ways we can replicate the real pressure? The consensus after the beat-down was that they were nervous. How can we help them get past that tunnel vision, and pay attention to the runners and make better decisions. We wouldn't have won against that batting regardless, but they wouldn't have hung 18 runs on us. I can't let these kids have last year's experience again. They were miserable. They deserve a fun experience, and they're already showed us they can play better. They were taught better than this.

HELP, please...lol

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
Front toss scrimmage can help but tough to duplicate pressure. Group them to hit and make sure you got 9 on defense.l including catcher. Give each group 6 outs and rotate. Make calls on offense: bunt, steal etc. make it as real as possible. Live pitching is always better but may not have enough. Front tossed needs to vary pitch speeds and location.

Jul 22, 2015
We stole a game from another coach that worked well. Group into teams of 4 (5 if you need to). A coach will throw front toss behind a screen but otherwise you'll have a full defense (made up of the groups not hitting). Each team hits for 8 minutes and scores as many runs as possible while the defense makes every play in game situations. Baserunners advance as normal, use base coaches if you want. Clear the bases every time they get 3 outs. Line drives into the pitching screen are base hits, ground balls into the screen are outs. Allow bunts if you want (or not) but use judgement on whether or not a pitcher would have made the play. Puts some pressure on the players and even gets in some sneaky conditioning for the hitting team.

Jan 25, 2022
Thank you both for the replies. Those are cool ideas. I also got to thinking...when. y daughter was letting general chatter and distraction interfere with her pitching practices, I played death metal full blast so she could learn to tune things out. It worked well. Chants and screams dont bother her a bit. I'm thinking we could hit IF/OF as normal but make the hits more realistic, use runners, and blast the press box speakers with some sort of music they'll all hate. Force them to use their eyes more and see what's going on instead of just depending on shouting. Focus on the ball on the popups. Stuff like that. As much distraction as we can muster.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12