I know this isn't the place for this, BUT.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2009
I'm rooting for the Giants because I have worked with Torres.

Torres' struggles during the NLDS and earlier on in the NLCS are very instructive for everybody here because the game is the game regardless of at what level it's played or the sex of the players.

Late in the regular season Torres started pressing and trying to hit home runs. He wanted to become a 30 HR guy. That led him to get pull crazy. The Phillies responded by just pitching him outside. He tried to pull balls outside and for a few games looked terrible. He's now made an adjustment and is taking their garbage outside. The result is his walks are up and he is again getting strikes to hit and drive.

I'd love to see Torres learn to start going the other way for power with balls outside rather than just taking them, but it's hard to complain with what he's doing now because it's yielding walks and runs.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
As a long-time Yankee fan (to counter-balance; the Cubs have a place near and dear to my heart) I'm tossed. Would I love to see the Yankees in the Fall Classic; of course. However, even if they do win the ALCS I may not be able to watch the games as our cable company - Cablevision- is cuurently not carrying the Fox Network. Fox and Cablevision are in a huge dispute of fees. Fox carries NFL Football, but my NY Giants only play on Sunday and we're still playing softball, so I'm really not missing much.

On one hand I would like to see the Yankees on Fox. On the other side, a Texas v SF Giants World Series would teach both sides a lesson. Not much interest here on the East Coast for that, so Fox will lose a ton of money as ratings will be small. Cablevision will continue to lose subscribers the longer they discontinue Fox.

Jul 26, 2010
Wow, interesting, 3D. I wonder if Cablevision subscribers have higher IQ's due to the lack of Fauxnews?

I live in the SF bay area, so it's always exciting when the Giants are in the playoffs. I haven't had any luck making it to any of the games yet though, but the energy in the air is fun to see. It's also interesting to note all the Oakland fans (which I am one of in addition) who always hate on anything related to SF. It's almost funny if it wasn't so sad ;)

-W

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
The Rangers certainly were the best team in this Series. Best of Luck to them; who ever they play. I would prefer to see (maybe) the Giants as they haven't een to the Series since forever. My Dad (who will be 85 next month) used to go to the Polo Grounds to watch both the football Giants with Y.A.Tittle and the baseball Ginats with Willie Mays. He would love to see his Giants win the Series.

May 25, 2010
As a long-time Yankee fan (to counter-balance; the Cubs have a place near and dear to my heart) I'm tossed. Would I love to see the Yankees in the Fall Classic; of course. However, even if they do win the ALCS I may not be able to watch the games as our cable company - Cablevision- is cuurently not carrying the Fox Network. Fox and Cablevision are in a huge dispute of fees. Fox carries NFL Football, but my NY Giants only play on Sunday and we're still playing softball, so I'm really not missing much.

On one hand I would like to see the Yankees on Fox. On the other side, a Texas v SF Giants World Series would teach both sides a lesson. Not much interest here on the East Coast for that, so Fox will lose a ton of money as ratings will be small. Cablevision will continue to lose subscribers the longer they discontinue Fox.

While I can't stand it when the customers are being gang-raped by 'too big to fail' :rolleyes: giants in the public provider marketplace - remember, taxes and 'fees' are collected from you each month to maintain the very communications infrastructure (includes roads) they trade on - ratings for MLB are going to be small no matter what.

On Monday, you had Andy Pettitte vs Cliff Lee, one of the best playoff pitching matchups in a long time and you also had the long-suffering, overachieving Rangers vs the storied - and hated - Yankees going up against an absolute garbage Monday Night Football game that was a blowout and the NFL still got a higher rating (7.2 to 6.5).

Sunday night was even worse, as Colts-Redskins doubled the viewership of Phillies-Giants.

MLB doesn't compete well anymore for TV viewers and don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
MLB doesn't compete well anymore for TV viewers and don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Which sort of makes you wonder why people are stil throwing money at them.

I think the Phillies will win it at home, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if it is a Texas/SF championship if for no other reason than to hurt TV, the people to whom MLB has prostituted the game. Think about it. The people in the Philadelphia market are still trying to figure out what idiot schedules any game, let alone a playoff game at 4:00pm on a weekday.

Screw TV and MLB for handing them the reins. Hopefully this madness will die and take Tim McCarver, Joe Morgan and Joe Buck with them.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2008
It was perfect last night. Alex Rodriguez strikes out for the Yankees on 3 pitches to send the Rangers to the WS. Poetic justice. I want to see a Rangers/Giants WS. I will watch that.

Feb 9, 2009
it was the most awesome place to be: last night at the Ballpark!!

And can I tell you how funny it was when the "Let's go, Rangers!" cheer changed to "You did steroids!" when A Rod came to the plate....
And we saw the ball clip the batter when A Fraud, I mean A Rod, stole home from the stands. How the heck did the ump miss it??

And Josh Hamilton is such a class act! And it was priceless when Cruz hit the homer, since he and my DD have the same number!!!
But today.....I am EXHAUSTED!!!

LOVE being tired for the Rangers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smallsize1516