HS Stat Tracking

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Yeah, where I live Maxpreps stats are a joke, as many schools don’t upload GC info. Not something I would want mandated if people don’t know how to keep “the books” correctly.

I had to laugh because last year we had a team parent who did GC (pretty reliable with it from what I’ve seen her input) just so parents not at games could follow along. The one coach kept the official book (paper score book). At the end of the season there was a difference of 20Ks between GC and what the coach had for DD’s pitching stats (coach would email us year-end stats). I was at every game so I know the parent did not mess up. How can there be that big of a difference with K’s??! That is one stat almost impossible to screw up!!

So yeah - wouldn’t trust what I see on Maxpreps.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
To be fair, the HS Assn's already mandate a lot of stuff that affects players and their experiences.

I know that Bound (who runs the site for Iowa) is working to expand into additional sites/leagues. I think they are already doing Nebrasaka as well.

I understand, but where do you draw the line? I don't see this mandate as necessary to administer sports statewide. When my DD was a freshman, her HS team made the state semifinals (she just pinch ran, didn't play much), and I remember a fan on our semifinal opponent teasing (not in a nice way) our shortstop for her batting average on social media. Stats were on MaxPreps. If I'm a coach or a local school, I'd feel that I had a right to protect a player against that. I don't agree w/ a state association telling a coach or school what is best for the chemistry or mental health of their own team, not when it's an essential part of the game. Obviously there's a risk of bad experiences in public competition, and that's part of the game, but as for stats, I'd prefer the locals - the ones who know their particular kids and their particular team - to make a decision on what's best for them.

May 27, 2013
I understand, but where do you draw the line? I don't see this mandate as necessary to administer sports statewide. When my DD was a freshman, her HS team made the state semifinals (she just pinch ran, didn't play much), and I remember a fan on our semifinal opponent teasing (not in a nice way) our shortstop for her batting average on social media. Stats were on MaxPreps. If I'm a coach or a local school, I'd feel that I had a right to protect a player against that. I don't agree w/ a state association telling a coach or school what is best for the chemistry or mental health of their own team, not when it's an essential part of the game. Obviously there's a risk of bad experiences in public competition, and that's part of the game, but as for stats, I'd prefer the locals - the ones who know their particular kids and their particular team - to make a decision on what's best for them.

Ughhhh - hate that! Had that happen this year during my ds’ last HS baseball game. He was in LF and student fans from the other team camped behind the LF fence taunting him the entire game - using baseball stuff posted on Twitter by his PC and viewable online info from PBR. Luckily it didn’t bother him at all but it drove me nuts!

Sep 9, 2019
If you keep the book yourself, you can just as easily run GameChanger. I've done it while being a 3rd base coach - not ideal, but not too hard to do both.
No electronic devices allowed on the field, right?

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah people don't know how to score games and/or are biased. In other news water is wet..DD's MS team had a 7th grade kid who I think never watched a softball/baseball game in her life running GC. I basically just used it to track the score since I didn't go to any of the games..

May 27, 2022
No electronic devices allowed on the field, right?

Letter of the law: you can use electronic devices on the field for scoring purposes. Once, in the many many times I've done it, an umpire looked over my shoulder to ensure that is what I was doing. Otherwise, I simply explain during the first inning what I am doing.

Dec 19, 2021
Georgia uses MaxPreps, although every school has to submit scores, they don't all submit full stats.
Similar here in AZ. Not every school elects to post stats to MaxPreps, although the scores are all there. That said, I think the formal scores are kept by Arizona Interscholastic Association, and probably linked to MaxPreps from there. Our GC account is linked to MaxPreps from what I understand, so it's pretty easy. And we have had a pretty reliable scorekeeper. While I don't always agree on the calls (mostly hit or error on hard grounders), he is pretty good.

The biggest issue with stats around here is level of play. The schools range from really quite good to downright putrid. Until you look at who they have played, even accurate stats are just entertainment value.

Oct 10, 2018
We kept our own stats and glad we did. When we got the HS stats at the end of the season they were way off. Coach included walks and sacrifice hits as at bats..... Always keep your own stats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06