HS Stat Tracking

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2022
Part brag and part curious for HS Softball teams out there. Does your state have any organized site for tracking stats for all players/teams in the state?

We're in Iowa and have VarsityBound (now just Bound) where all coaches have to submit stats weekly: LINK.

Personally, I think it is pretty cool. There is a page for each school and team and you can sort/filter stats by Class, Conference, year, etc. to see how you compare and who is good from your next opponent. We're 3 weeks into the HS season and starting to get some relatively comparable stats to see what's what.

Any other states have this available?

1654702280951.png

Apr 20, 2015
Max preps is probably the most common but not everyone uses it in Indiana. It’s like everything else crap in puts crap out. Everyone counts errors and hits differently….grain of salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2022
Max preps is probably the most common but not everyone uses it in Indiana. It’s like everything else crap in puts crap out. Everyone counts errors and hits differently….grain of salt.

With a runner at first, I have seen the following iScore scoring play (which leads to our Stats system)...
- Player B hits a single to the Shortstop, Player A is out at second.

Obviously a Fielders Choice which was scored wrong,

Also, if you compare hits given up by the pitcher versus hits earned by the opposing team (or stolen bases), you will many times see difference. Heck, 2 people, in good faith, can score it different.

The biggest problem is stolen bases with runners at 1st and 3rd. When the runner at first steals second, WAY too many people call that defensive indifference instead of a stolen base. I do our HS scoring on iScore and end up punishing my daughter's stats 'cuz I score it right.

BUT, I would rather have something to see how girls in the conference/state are doing as opposed to nothing.

Apr 20, 2015
Ha ha yes we have player in our conference who has 0 roe…great player but I know for a fact that is a BS star because my kid made an error allowing her to reach and they gave her a double. Ball went right between my kids legs absolutely no question it was an error lol. Mean while my kid hits a little Texas leaguer off of the best pitcher in our state that their shortstop has to dive for and our coach gives it an roe…it all balances in the end so it’s all grain of salt

Mar 4, 2015
New England
In Iowa, if you don't update stats by every Tuesday, the HS Ath Union will suspend the head coach until they do. That has proven to be effective.

I wouldn't support that rule.

IMO, a player's individual stats are the business of her team and the coach and not the public's unless the coach chooses otherwise. I realize there's no harm in most of it, but I'd want the coach or school to have that discretion as to whether they want those stats to be provided for public amusement. It's not college athletes playing to market a university but high school athletes getting an education through an extracurricular activity. I don't think the high school association should be the one deciding whether reporting Sally's batting average is an extension of that education.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
HS stats are a joke. I have seen teams in my DD’s conference (including my DD’s) end up a 30 plus game season with less than 5 ROE’s for the whole team. This is a really weak conference with only a couple decent teams. Lots and lots and lots of errors are made in any given game.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Also, if you compare hits given up by the pitcher versus hits earned by the opposing team (or stolen bases), you will many times see difference. Heck, 2 people, in good faith, can score it different.
In a game from last night (summer league, HS level), the person doing GameChanger for the other team had us with 10 hits. We had 13, and I can't think of a single one of those that could've been called an error (or a fielder's choice) if the person was scoring the game properly.

Jun 11, 2012
Our town gave someone a double when the right fielder dropped the ball and then overthrew first.
And more recently a HR with 3 rbi on an infield hit when the SS overthrew second and proceeded to throw the ball around until there were no runners left.
Seems to get the norm for HS teams in my area especially since most have a bench player keep the book.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00