HR Records

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
At first glance her swing is "unorthodox". Right or wrong, you are probably going to have to work a bit harder for D1's/D2's to take a look based upon that 🤷‍♂️

Personally, if I was a coach I would look at who she is facing and how that compares (competition level wise) to my previous recruits that have succeeded in my program.

Apr 18, 2017
At first glance her swing is "unorthodox". Right or wrong, you are probably going to have to work a bit harder for D1's/D2's to take a look based upon that 🤷‍♂️

Personally, if I was a coach I would look at who she is facing and how that compares (competition level wise) to my previous recruits that have succeeded in my program.

I don't disagree with anything here, and she is really hoping for a D2 within 5 hours or so of home. We are the rare realistic parents and child who know a decent D2 is probably the ceiling rather than saying "She hit a bunch of homers off of average high school pitching, why isn't Oklahoma beating down our door".

So you can look at the video and tell the pitching is nothing special and well below what she'll see in travel this summer, but she doesn't struggle with the better pitching. She won't hit .586 like she is right now, but a .425 to .450 travel season isn't uncommon.

I really think she is targeting D2 so she can get some athletic money, but she probably doesn't need it with her academics. Without making her sound cocky, she knows plenty of girls who have played D3 and feels like she's a level above that. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

May 27, 2013
I really think she is targeting D2 so she can get some athletic money, but she probably doesn't need it with her academics. Without making her sound cocky, she knows plenty of girls who have played D3 and feels like she's a level above that. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

While I agree with you about her also getting some athletic money at D2, I disagree with your comment about D3 competition. This can vary greatly at all levels of play depending on the conference. There are some D3 schools that are very well-known for their softball programs, as well as academics. Emory is one that comes to mind, and has an extremely competitive softball program - competitive enough to beat many D2 schools and probably some D1 schools.

Apr 18, 2017
While I agree with you about her also getting some athletic money at D2, I disagree with your comment about D3 competition. This can vary greatly at all levels of play depending on the conference.

You're right of course, and I shouldn't have generalized so much. I realize there are very good D3 schools, and pretty bad D2's. It will all likely end up coming down to major, and fit of the school more than the softball, as it should. She just doesn't want to end up feeling like she's playing below her level. We may need to have a conversation on whether it's about the actual scholarship money to help pay for school, or about being able to say you were offered money to play. Honestly, there's likely a bit of both.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
DD had this kind of thinking when she was in HS. I told her that I would like to see you go to the hardest academic school with a top business program that you could play at. I ranked the business schools in Texas at the time and two of the schools didn't have a softball program and the next two were out of her range skill wise then the next on the list was a D3 that happened have an enrollment of 29,000 which is bigger than many D1 schools. The just won their conference championship over the previous D3 National Champs. I ran the Massey Ratings (at the time) and they could go head to head with most of the lower D1 programs and D2 programs. This year...not so much. LOL. That team that they beat in their conference championship in 2017 moved up to D2 last year and are already a top 3 team D2 Nationally. Most D3 schools will offer enough academic money to make it very affordable compared to D2's. Case Western is a pretty salty team.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying