How would you use a 10th player on defense?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
At the 8U level, we play tournaments (ASA) that allow for a 10th player on defense (local tournament rules vary), sometimes the 10th player has to be in the outfield (Rule 1), other tournaments the extra player can play anywhere (Rule 2). My question is where would you position the extra player to maximize your defensive coverage. Some possible options:

Under Rule 1:

a) Spread the 4 outfielders evenly in the outfield; or

b) Position the 3 outfielders in RF, CF, and LF with the extra player playing a second, shallower CF (edge of grass, directly behind 2B), primarily to cover 2B base on steals and field balls hit up the middle.

Under Rule 2:

a) Same as "b" above but have extra player play deep in the right side of the infield between 2B and 1B players. I think I read that 70% of hits are to the right side of the infield?

Thanks.

Jun 21, 2010
At 8U I saw too many bad throws to 1st and the runner would advancd to second or third. I would put the 10th player far right and have her back up first.

May 25, 2010
What's the optimum position placement for player development?

Play 4 outfielders, spread evenly. Both center fielders need to react/cover the same as a single CF would in a standard outfield, but the second player in backs off. One will generally be more aggressive than the other, which is no big deal.

I know that you're trying to win your tournament games because losing sucks, but at 8u-10u, the focus really needs to be on teaching the girls how the game is played.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
At 55 and over (keep your remarks to yourself :) ) that 10th player is a rover. She is your best player and she reads the batter (probably, you do) and she floats to where she thinks she will be needed.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
What's the optimum position placement for player development?

Play 4 outfielders, spread evenly. Both center fielders need to react/cover the same as a single CF would in a standard outfield, but the second player in backs off. One will generally be more aggressive than the other, which is no big deal.

I know that you're trying to win your tournament games because losing sucks, but at 8u-10u, the focus really needs to be on teaching the girls how the game is played.

I understand your point that we should be teaching the correct way to play positions, but for 8U only (at 10U, 9 players on defense), if the rules allow for an extra player why not use it to your defensive advantage? I like the Rule 2 (a) option where the 10th player is deep in the right infield, and as CPSBDAD points out, she can cheat towards 1B to back-up any overthrows which are common. CF will still play the position correctly just like she would at 10U and beyond.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
At 55 and over (keep your remarks to yourself :) ) that 10th player is a rover. She is your best player and she reads the batter (probably, you do) and she floats to where she thinks she will be needed.

Hi Amy. I'm not sure what you mean by she helps out where she is needed. Before the play starts she needs to know exactly what position she is playing (as do her teammates) and what to do once the ball is put in play. Yes, you can call her a rover but she doesn't just "float" anywhere she wants to. Please explain?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
OK. If I am a rover, I am standing in short center, when the batter gets in the box. Depending on her warm up swings, I would move to where i think she is going to hit the ball. I don't move all the way over to back up 3rd, LF still does that, but I am going to be in the OF, somewhere between SS and the 2nd baseman, and 1/2 of the distance to the CF.

My job is to field the balls up the middle and catch Texas leaguers in the gap.

Many times, I am so close to the infield that I don't throw the ball. I am on my way in and I run the ball in and then, toss it to the pitcher.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
OK. If I am a rover, I am standing in short center, when the batter gets in the box. Depending on her warm up swings, I would move to where i think she is going to hit the ball. I don't move all the way over to back up 3rd, LF still does that, but I am going to be in the OF, somewhere between SS and the 2nd baseman, and 1/2 of the distance to the CF.

My job is to field the balls up the middle and catch Texas leaguers in the gap.

Many times, I am so close to the infield that I don't throw the ball. I am on my way in and I run the ball in and then, toss it to the pitcher.

While I wish it were true, 7 and 8 YOs do not have the experience or attention span to determine where the batter might hit the ball based on their warm-up swings. You have to give the fielders very specific instruction on where exactly to play and what to do before the batter even gets in the box. Since my expereince is that most balls are hit up the middle or the right side at this age, I am inclined to have the 10th player somewhere in that area?

Jun 21, 2010
If she can play anywhere, put her a step inside 2B. If she has to play OF, then have her right behind 2B as close as possible for her to be legal. You can move SS and 2B over to close the holes.

BTW, are you stealing at 8U in those tourneys?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd