how would you score this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
I'm making notes on my DD's games this summer and was curious about these plays... I've never done scoring before (18U-A if it matters).
While batting she hits a very hard one bouncer to 3rd, hits the 3rd baseman in the gut and she buckles, unable to complete the play...BOE?
While playing 3rd, takes a grounder and throws to 1st. 1st baseman stumbles getting back...the throw is really low but not in the dirt and hits the glove right at the inside corner of the bag, and falls out as 1st falls down. If ball was thrown higher...it's probably an out but if 1st didn't stumble, it would have been caught. What's the call?

Jun 11, 2013
I would give first batter a hit unless I felt the 3B just totally misplayed it.

On the second, it's an error, likely on 3rd, but would have had to see it.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Was the first a bad hop or just a misplay? If 3B should have caught the ball with routine effort then E5, otherwise 1B.

On the 2nd, E5 or E3 depending on whether or not 1B should have reasonable caught the throw or not.

Oct 10, 2011
Was the first a bad hop or just a misplay? If 3B should have caught the ball with routine effort then E5, otherwise 1B.

On the 2nd, E5 or E3 depending on whether or not 1B should have reasonable caught the throw or not.
HC says if it were outside "3rd's shoulders" he'd give DD the hit but AC thought it was a monster shot difficult to handle. I don't know how the parent scored it that keeps the books.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Agree w/ the consensus - #1 - Hit. #2 - Error. Probably E-5. But would have to see both to make up my mind for sure.

On the first one, there are two arguments for an error - Should she have fielded the ball cleanly? I say no since she failed even to get her glove on the ball because of limited reaction time. Should she have have recovered and made the play? I say no since she was momentarily stunned or injured by a batted ball. There was no misplay in the recovery attempted. So I'd say #1 is fairly certainly a hit. #2 is tougher.

Mar 26, 2013
Should be required reading for anyone keeping the books:

Learn it. Know it. Live it.
However, ignore the references to a sac slap in the Stats Manual. It was removed from the rules sometime prior to 2012, but they didn't update the excerpt in the manual.

Excerpt in Stats Manual:
14.9.3 When modifications are not made to the running slapper’s swing or motion.
Notes:
1. Modifications could include, but are not limited to, the following: sacrifice motion, a controlled compact swing, a pause in the running slapper’s motion or a reduction of foot speed.
2. Scoring for the left-handed running slapper should be the same as for a traditional left- or right-handed batter. If the running slapper clearly shows the intent to advance a base runner, credit a sacrifice. If modifications are not made to the running slapper’s swing or motion, charge an at-bat, even if a base runner advances.

Rules:
Note: Scoring for the left-handed running slapper should be the same as for a traditional left- or right-handed batter. If the running slapper clearly shows the intent to advance a base runner by bunting, credit a sacrifice. If the running slapper slaps or swings, charge an at-bat, even if a base runner advances.

Last edited by a moderator:
However, ignore the references to a sac slap in the Stats Manual. It was removed from the rules sometime prior to 2012, but they didn't update the excerpt in the manual.

Excerpt in Stats Manual:
14.9.3 When modifications are not made to the running slapper’s swing or motion.
Notes:
1. Modifications could include, but are not limited to, the following: sacrifice motion, a controlled compact swing, a pause in the running slapper’s motion or a reduction of foot speed.
2. Scoring for the left-handed running slapper should be the same as for a traditional left- or right-handed batter. If the running slapper clearly shows the intent to advance a base runner, credit a sacrifice. If modifications are not made to the running slapper’s swing or motion, charge an at-bat, even if a base runner advances.

Rules:
Note: Scoring for the left-handed running slapper should be the same as for a traditional left- or right-handed batter. If the running slapper clearly shows the intent to advance a base runner by bunting, credit a sacrifice. If the running slapper slaps or swings, charge an at-bat, even if a base runner advances.

The problem with ruling hit or error is anything beyond reasonable effort is a base hit and all players have different skill levels so that will depend whether it is a hit or not. I've seen bad hops called errors in the WCWS this year maybe they were deserved maybe not but there is no set rule on errors or hits. Now to give my opinion on your 2 plays:

Play 1: If the 3rd baseman is a stud playing 3rd its an error if she isn't I give her a hit

Play 2: If a ball is thrown and doesn't hit the dirt and is thrown at the bag it's E3 unless there isn't anyone at 1st to receive throw which wasn't the case here.

But Riseball is 100% correct read the rules on scoring the game even take an online class its worth doing to learn how to score correctly

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kstitz44