How to reduce bat sting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
She has no swing. She's using the arms to push the bat at the ball. So she isn't creating whip into the ball and she's missing the sweet spot. Between the two of those she will get stung. I wouldn't focus on eliminating the sting. I wouldn't even hit the ball for awhile. I'd focus on learning how to swing. She does look athletic. How good does she want to be and how hard is she willing to work at it and how committed are you to helping that process over the next few years?

Here's what it should look like. Siggy's Hitting Clips - ImageEvent

Follow all those links up and start questioning what you don't understand.

Jul 6, 2009
Thanks for all the great advice. Sounds like 2 things to work on:

1. I will work on her grip first. I bet her knuckles are not lined up, causing the bat to press too much into her palm. Hopefully this will not be too bad a habit to break.

2. I will then have to get her to use more of her body to swing, instead of relying on her arms only. Any tips or tricks that an 11 year old can related to?

On a side note, I just put that cage you see in the video in my yard last week. What a timesaver and it makes the kids want to practice even more.

May 12, 2008
It's not about tips or tricks. It's about you busting yourself to study for a few months and learning more about the goal. Absent that, I'd suggest you find a good local instructor and go regularly. Both would be even better if you can find an instructor teaching things not clearly the opposite of what you see elite hitters doing. The fact you are taping and posting your DD's swing is an excellent start.

Jul 6, 2009
Excellent advice. Now that we have the cage, she wants to improve her hitting. She been pitching the last 2 years and her hitting has suffered as a result. Now that she is moving up this fall, she wants to become a big hitter, so that is half the battle right there - her desire.

Thanks again and I'll be working hard right beside her.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA