How to discuss differing philosophies:hitting or pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
What is an effective way to discuss differing hitting or pitching philosophies? Mainly referring to techniques. Parents and players what has helped you with coaches? Coaches, what has been said or shown to you that there might be a better way to teach? I'm sure it comes down to the personality of the coach and if they are willing to learn and grow but Id still like to hear your story.

I've been on DFP for a while and have learned a tremendous amount of things that I was teaching wrong and since changing have had better results. From squish the bug, IR, and turning the ball back on throwing, I feel much more informed and educated on the mechanical techniques of the game.

Any ideas would be great! TGIF and good luck to the players and teams this weekend if you are on the dirt!

Sep 29, 2014
As a coach whenever I had a pitcher I always asked if they took lessons and from who ( I knew most of PCs in the area). My first rule is always if it is not broke don't fix it. If the girl is on target speedwise,can consistently hit her spots and understands pitch selections and the whys...I leave them alone at that point my job is strictly mental, keeping there head in the game. If they don't have a coach I'll examine what they are doing find the biggest area that needs improvement and focus on ONE thing at a time.

For hitters I videoed every one of my hitters against a machine in the cage about 15 pitches, then went home and analyzed it, then provided feedback via email to the player and parent, then at practice we would talk about the feedback and how they were progressing. If they had a hitting coach I would usually ask if their coach had mentioned any of the things I pointed out and if they did I would have them focus on the things we agreed on and then see how it went. But again I would not make wholesale changes for girls that were crushing the ball, I would pick ONE thing I thought might help and see how it went.

My DD usually just goes along with coaches inputs as much as she can but if it is something really weird or silly just reverts back...as long as you are performing coaches tend to leave you alone in general.

Biggest thing that always irked me were the girls with no coaching that were not performing but wanted to keep doing things the way they wanted to...those girls slowly work there way to the bottom of the line up or rotation

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2012
Utah
My first rule is always if it is not broke don't fix it.

Yes, but some would consider things like not pitching like a bowler (hello elbow and such) as something that is broke and needs fixing. That is, there are coaches who see anything and everything they are not familiar with as being broken and needing fixing. The stuff Boardmember, Java, Pauly, Balswick, etc. teach comes to mind.

Sep 29, 2014
Yes, but some would consider things like not pitching like a bowler (hello elbow and such) as something that is broke and needs fixing. That is, there are coaches who see anything and everything they are not familiar with as being broken and needing fixing. The stuff Boardmember, Java, Pauly, Balswick, etc. teach comes to mind.

Maybe @10U you could get away with bowling but by 12U you will be behind your peers and the funny thing is by 14U and 16U you will see most high level pitchers doing the "Jennie cheat" they swear they are doing hello elbow to appease there coaches but if you look closely they have figured it out and just exaggerate the follow through for looks, the key is to focus on the moment right after release it simply does not lie.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
In my experience, it depends on how much ego is involved on the part of the coach you want to discuss it with. There seems to be a tremendous number of coaches who believe they already know everything and thus require no additional information or input. It's like the old joke about always wanting to marry Mr. or Ms. Right without realizing their first name was Always.

First thing you have to do is suss out how open the coach is to a discussion. If the decision has already been made you're probably best off not bothering. Sort of like arguing politics on Facebook; the number of opinions changed on Facebook currently sits at 0. If the coach is open, however, then it's your turn to not be Mr./Ms. Always Right. Ask if you can talk, and I recommend showing some examples of what you mean. Use a slow motion video or four and show the points you want to make. Then explain why it's important. If you create a real dialog, and show rather than just tell, you're more likely to have success.

Maybe afterwards follow up with the coach and provide a few links to key threads here. You never know - you may open his/her eyes to a whole new world and create a new, better-informed member. Everyone here was new to coaching once upon a time.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
In my experience, it depends on how much ego is involved on the part of the coach you want to discuss it with. There seems to be a tremendous number of coaches who believe they already know everything and thus require no additional information or input. It's like the old joke about always wanting to marry Mr. or Ms. Right without realizing their first name was Always.

First thing you have to do is suss out how open the coach is to a discussion. If the decision has already been made you're probably best off not bothering. Sort of like arguing politics on Facebook; the number of opinions changed on Facebook currently sits at 0. If the coach is open, however, then it's your turn to not be Mr./Ms. Always Right. Ask if you can talk, and I recommend showing some examples of what you mean. Use a slow motion video or four and show the points you want to make. Then explain why it's important. If you create a real dialog, and show rather than just tell, you're more likely to have success.

Maybe afterwards follow up with the coach and provide a few links to key threads here. You never know - you may open his/her eyes to a whole new world and create a new, better-informed member. Everyone here was new to coaching once upon a time.

Ken, this is my exact hope of what I would like to have happen. I'm just trying find out if it's possible. I don't feel like our coach is knowitall kind of guy but sometimes when you attempt to correct or change someone, they can show a defensive side that isn't always there. Hoping to avoid conflict with this coach for my DD's sake. But, like I said I watched his DD crush the ball 6-7 times then he tried to cookie cutter change her to a push swing and it went to blah.

Thanks for all of the input so far!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dd2k13