How to decide earlier to swing or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2012
My 17yo dd averages about 1-2 hits per game this year but she really lets the ball get in on her before she decides to swing, so basically she is swinging late and not getting good extension or power. Is anything I can do to help her with deciding earlier when to swing? I have a tee with a net setup at home we use but there are not batting cages close by to use frequently.

She currently is the leadoff hitter on her H.S. team, a lefty who can also slap.

Thanks for any tips.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Mental side...

Mechanical side...
Turn the barrel behind the corner. The sudden explosiveness of proper swing mechanics allow the hitter to wait longer to see the ball, and hit it with power deeper in the hitting zone. Do you have any video you can share of her swing?

Hitting stationary balls does little for helping a hitter learn about timing of moving balls. Hitting moving balls is CRITICAL practice.

Jun 24, 2013
Leadoff is a different hitter, maybe ask if she can hit lower in the lineup? 5/6? There is a lot of pressure in the leadoff to get on base.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Djanvk, I wish I could take some of my DD's swing-to-early problem and give it you your daughter. Then maybe they could both be about on time.

My DD constantly bombards her third-base coach with solid-hit foul balls.

Jul 2, 2013
Taught by a close friend a year for so ago to my DD. Mentally let the ball get deeper into the hitting zone by habit. Practice this over and over by pitching balls to her at the outside of the plate. Train to hit this ball the opposite way, all the time. Nearly 75% of pitches will be on the outer half of the plate. Learn to drive them hard in that direction.

A dead pull hitter is an out hitter.

Without seeing her swing, she may be to long to the ball. These forums get way too wordy, and want to build a bunch of steps into a swing. The key to a great softball swing is a very quick and powerful swing. Doing all the steps almost simultaneously. Only a very trained eye, or slow motion camera can see when it is right. After that it is about having the ability to decide LATER.

A hitter who has to decide too early is an out hitter.

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
First off great video Eric F I will show her that video, makes sense to me. Mr. T that is something I just read about and I need to check on when she loads up to hit, I'm curious about that, I happened to read another thread just recently posted about his same topic and I see where a lot of late swingers load up to late in the pitch.

May 25, 2012
I agree with you here, but she doesn't hit it very hard to the opposite side, now up the middle that's where I see power.

Taught by a close friend a year for so ago to my DD. Mentally let the ball get deeper into the hitting zone by habit. Practice this over and over by pitching balls to her at the outside of the plate. Train to hit this ball the opposite way, all the time. Nearly 75% of pitches will be on the outer half of the plate. Learn to drive them hard in that direction.

A dead pull hitter is an out hitter.

Without seeing her swing, she may be to long to the ball. These forums get way too wordy, and want to build a bunch of steps into a swing. The key to a great softball swing is a very quick and powerful swing. Doing all the steps almost simultaneously. Only a very trained eye, or slow motion camera can see when it is right. After that it is about having the ability to decide LATER.

A hitter who has to decide too early is an out hitter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez