How to transfer practice swing to live swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Ok that’s reassuring, trust me though I know how hard it is to change a swing. I play golf and fixes take forever for me, I was hoping since she was younger she would get them faster. This will be her 4th year playing.

Young players are often still developing their body awareness, which can make changes to their movement pattern even more difficult for them to adopt. Be patient. Be encouraging. She will get there. :)

EDIT: When I was coaching 12U, one of the things I talked about with players was about "feel". I asked them to pay attention to what a good swing feels like in their body, and try to replicate that feel in the box. Focusing on little details like timing of this part moving before another part isn't realistic in the heat of battle. We found that if they were able to make things feel right, the results tend to take care of themselves.

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
My DD has been improving her swing in practice but when she gets to live hitting she reverts back to her nemesis of taking her hands to the ball. She’s making contact just not good contact, either popups or weak grounders.

Her practice swings look good, anyone have any tips on how to get her practice swingto translate over to her game swing?
Could be a timing issue

Could be a timing issue

That was/is probably the biggest thing for my daughter. When she's on time swing looks great but when she's not you wonder what in the world is she swinging at. So my 2 cents would be check her timing, fix that and a lot of things in her swing may sort itself out. Especially if she's pounding the ball front toss etc. at practice.

Mar 19, 2009
Southern California
I also think timing but I see it as two sets of timing that have to be in sync with each other.
One, the getting to launch Including the load n coil , and stretch.
Two, the timing of the ball in your hitting zone including the swing.

A hitter could be late and early at the same time. This in my small part of the world is the cause of good practice swings that breakdown in game swings. Good luck

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I also think timing but I see it as two sets of timing that have to be in sync with each other.
One, the getting to launch Including the load n coil , and stretch.
Two, the timing of the ball in your hitting zone including the swing.

A hitter could be late and early at the same time. This in my small part of the world is the cause of good practice swings that breakdown in game swings. Good luck

Very good points.

This is where softball/baseball is very different than golf. Golf doesn't have the same issues with making timing and location adjustments.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Could be a timing issue
This is probably the key.

Most kids do not stride when the pitcher releases the ball. They wait until they think the pitch is a strike. If they do this, they are dead.

The front foot must be down when the ball is halfway. Watch the other players, probably none of them will have their foot down in time.

Throw to her in the cage. Randomly hold the ball, and see if she moved.

Oct 26, 2019
Young players are often still developing their body awareness, which can make changes to their movement pattern even more difficult for them to adopt. Be patient. Be encouraging. She will get there. :)

EDIT: When I was coaching 12U, one of the things I talked about with players was about "feel". I asked them to pay attention to what a good swing feels like in their body, and try to replicate that feel in the box. Focusing on little details like timing of this part moving before another part isn't realistic in the heat of battle. We found that if they were able to make things feel right, the results tend to take care of themselves.
I have used an analogy very similar to this before and I love the way you put it. When you shoot a basketball you know it’s going in as soon as it leaves your fingers because it feels right. Throwing and hitting should have very similar “feels “

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood