How often does your DD go to lessons?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2019
I've heard of kids going to lessons every week, but that seems like too much to me. Of course I'd rather not spend the crap ton of money it would take to go every week. But it also seems like a waste. It's not enough time for the player to ingrain whatever the coach is teaching.

My idea was to take a lesson whenever a problem develops or when it's time to learn something new. But I'm starting to believe thats not the way to think about it.

Oct 4, 2018
I've heard of kids going to lessons every week, but that seems like too much to me. Of course I'd rather not spend the crap ton of money it would take to go every week. But it also seems like a waste. It's not enough time for the player to ingrain whatever the coach is teaching.

My idea was to take a lesson whenever a problem develops or when it's time to learn something new. But I'm starting to believe thats not the way to think about it.

I think about this often. And play around with the frequency. What I've learned:

1. Some of the most productive lessons are when you don't think she needs one
2. Go too long without a lesson and things fall apart
3. When money isn't the issue, more lessons is far better than too few lessons

That said, we do hitting weekly and pitching every other week.

May 13, 2023
Consistency is Paying for lessons to grow
= moving forward with your money

Inconsistency is Paying for lessons to fix
= falling behind and trying to catch back up with your money

Jun 21, 2019
My daughter started with her hitting coach when she was 13 (she's 18). We went twice a week until this past year (senior in HS) when we went every week. This worked for her. I don't think weekly is necessary. The weekly lessons were specific to prep for her HS season and then college.

Jan 25, 2022
My kid goes weekly and I think it's the best way to do it. I took over the pitching, but she's started hitting now. The thing about lessons is that too many people think the kid should be getting better when they aren't working during the week. Lessons are instruction. The progress is made between lessons. We've always tried to get an at-home session the day after the lesson while the instruction is still fresh, then hopefully another session or two before the next lesson.

Parents have to step-up and pay attention at lessons, ask questions, and be the coach at home or progress will be slow as mud. Getting a parent started as a catcher when the kid is very young is also a good idea. If they've never held a glove they can still catch a pitch from a 7 year old, then can progress along with the kid.

I know a kid whose parents aren't involved as much with catching or short toss or whatever, but they're willing to send her to lessons 3x per week and the kid practices every day on her own. She's a great local player, but it's cost them some $$.

Jun 18, 2023
We started with kid-pitch in March and lessons in late May when my daughter (now 9) had been expressing interest but wasn't really able to get the motion down, and the month or so of youtube videos I was trying to translate to her wasnt helping. We went every week through July when travel season ended and then dropped down to once every other week.

It's expensive, for one, and two she has a bunch of other interests plus doesn't want to practice much inbetween at home (she'll practice if I take her TO a park or something) but it's hard to find the time and right now she needs reps more than coaching. Current plan is to continue every other or so until February and then go back to every week and try to really take a step up for next year.

Aug 23, 2016
DD has pitching every week, hitting every other week, fielding every other week, plus she sees a personal trainer every week for strength and conditioning.

If I had unlimited money and DD had more time, she'd see the personal trainer twice a week as well as doing hitting and fielding every week, and she'd take a speed and agility class.

During the high school season her game schedule usually gets in the way of lessons, so we prioritize pitching and personal training and get the other lessons in when we can. She does as much work on her own as she can, given her school schedule and extracurriculars.

Jun 29, 2023
Weekly for 30 minutes. This winter I would like to add another 60 minute lesson with a different local instructor.

Apr 8, 2019
Okay, we are probably not going enough. She does practice at home most days though. What are you all paying for lessons? Where I'm from they go for $80-$90 an hour. Most coaches I found won't do 30 min lessons.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles