how much do women's pro fastpitch make?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
I was just curious, aside from endorsement deals, what kind of salaries do pro players make. Lets say if your on the Pride, what are league minimums and what are big contracts?

Jul 13, 2013
I read recently that the average salary was about $6,000 for the 3 month season. Not much unfortunately. To your point, I am sure the marquee/star attraction players get a lot more with endorsements etc.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
I did not figure it could be very much. That being said, you have to appreciate watching players play for the love of the game and not the $.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes, about $6,000. And when my friend told me about it 6 years ago, the young women had to live with whomever would give them a room.

Jul 13, 2013
I did not figure it could be very much. That being said, you have to appreciate watching players play for the love of the game and not the $.

True enough. Just too bad they cannot make this economically viable. NPF is an "Official Development Partner" of MLB, but I haven't seen much in terms of real financial support. NPF probably needs to be subsidized to some degree by MLB, similar to how the NBA subsidizes the WNBA. Given all the money MLB gladly gives to drug cheaters, seems like that would be a more honorable investment.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Once the sport continues to grow and we eventually get a dozen or more teams, I think the pay will drastically go up... As far as womens pro sports pay goes, how does pro basketball compare? I know pro female golf and tennis players get a healthy pay check.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Once the sport continues to grow and we eventually get a dozen or more teams, I think the pay will drastically go up... As far as womens pro sports pay goes, how does pro basketball compare? I know pro female golf and tennis players get a healthy pay check.

With Pro Basketball it depends on whether you are just talking WNBA or including Pro Basketball worldwide.

If you are including worldwide, the top woman basketball players are in $1M range with the top 4-5 players making upwards of $2M. Several European leagues pay the top 'imports' much more than they do in the WNBA and many players are playing in 3 leagues every season worldwide. If you are willing to do that a good player is probably in the $200k range for the year. Also note that many of these leagues provide accommodation, living expenses and stipends, so a lot of this money is 'profit' versus having to figure living expenses out of it.

In 2010, the max salary in the WNBA was $101,500 with bonuses up to $50,000 available. It was estimated that Lauren Jackson made approx $139,000 from the NBA that season. Figure average salary to be in the $40-$45k range.

NPF has a long way to go. They need to get to 8 teams in the next 2 years to make this viable and it will be a great concern if they are at 4 teams again next season especially if any of the teams move again. 4 teams just doesn't cut it. They need to build the crowds somehow - drawing 1,000 people is not enough. They need the Olympics as much as anyone to drive interest.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz