How many tryouts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 29, 2013
My daughter is looking for a new team. She had one tryout already with the team she really wants to play for. They had to leave for Nationals and so the coach was unable to get back to her. We probably won't hear from her until next week sometime.

Meantime, other teams are having their tryouts, and one team we might be interested in is having a tryout tomorrow. But the coach has said he won't hold a spot for anyone unable to make a commitment right away. So what would you do? Of course we need to have a backup plan in place in case her #1 team doesn't offer her a spot. But if her #2 team won't give her any time to decide, should she even go to the tryout? Would that be unfair to the coach? She wants to do the right thing, but she also doesn't want to be left out in the cold if plan #1 falls out.

Another possible team she's interested in has tryouts next week. How does a kid navigate these tricky waters?

Apr 1, 2010
It's hard, but I would go ahead and try out. If she does well at team #2 tryout, the coach may discover that he/she is willing to make an exception. If not, at least she'll have gotten their attention and may hear from them later if they find they have a need in the future. Just be honest. Definitely tryout for team #3 if she hasn't heard from #1 by that time and team #2 has passed.

What a crazy time of year!

Feb 8, 2009
FWIW.I wouldn't wait either. Maybe some coaches feel comfortable doing that. I don't. I know it's a hard time for coaches and players. I've had some experience with moms and dads just window shopping. No thank you.

Feb 3, 2011
"Oh, so you're not coaching a team that made it to Nationals? We're going to hold out on committing to anyone until the better teams get back and begin holding their tryouts."

Dec 19, 2012
I've been at this a long time and this is my personal experience over the years.

Coaches that are confident in themselves give up to 10 days for kids/parents attend other tryouts in order to make an informed decision. They also hold tryouts during the normal tryout period.

Coaches that hold tryouts while the better teams are at nationals or other tournaments and request an immediate decision lack confidence in their own abilities and are usually not committed to the kids on the team. They will get rid of you as quickly as they took you.

May 21, 2012
So happy to hear everyone else is stressing too. I will say last year my dd was offered a spot on a team immediately. We were honest and explained we are trying out for other teams as well as it was our first year club. The coach was totally understanding and asked that we just let him know by Monday (which was the day after a weekend of tryouts for all teams). Unfortunately she was really sick all weekend and made no other tryouts. We ended up going w the only team she tried out for. All I can say - interesting year!!!

And just FYI - we don't know which nationals the team went to. Usssa is this week while pony was like two weeks ago. Teams usually pick one or the other. Don't think they go to both.

Oct 10, 2011
They call this the "Silly Season" for a reason. I think our coach tries to schedule a long tournament away so nobody can try out for other teams. It looks like we may be doing private tryouts this year which DD thinks is a bit more stressful.
Good luck with the tryouts and I hope she's feeling better!

Apr 29, 2013
So we went to the tryout today, and right away we knew this wasn't going to be a good fit for us. The talent pool at this particular tryout was underwhelming. And it was the strangest tryout I have ever seen. There was no base running (no timing), no pitching, no real batting. Just a lot of warm up drills and some grounders. And at the end, he gathered about 9 girls together and informed them they were all receiving offers right then and there. He then called all the parents into the circle and handed out "contracts" and gave a speech about what kind of coach he is and how great the team will be, etc. He then said he planned to have a team of 16 and gave this screwy explanation of why that would be a good idea.

At the end, we approached him and told him this was not what we were looking for and gave him back the unsigned contract. There is really no need to keep this team in the wings, because there is no way my daughter would ever be happy on a team like this. So now we are back to square one, I guess. Still have a tryout on Wednesday, that I hope turns out better than this one.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
We need to stop making new teams and build organizations; and a novel idea, let's have competition for starting positions. So as far as the 16 goes, I think this coach is on the right path (and at least 13 is good). Now the tryout drills and contract in the face things, not so good.

I completely agree but it will never happen and here's why. When little susie isn't batting 3rd and playing SS dad will go start a team to ensure his little winner is happy.

The team i help coach is exploring the 13-15 player roster because with 11 there are atleast 2 girls who's parents think they should be starting and start team hopping. At 13 you end up at 10-11 and 15 you don't have to worry about injuries or quitters. Also the cost goes down when their are more players.

Our tryouts are this Wednesday and their will be girls who we offer spots to right there. The hope will be that they say yes so that we can put tryouts behind us but the reality is they will "LET US KNOW". I'm a coach and my DD will probably attend other teams tryouts incase something happens within the organization.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse