How many parents participate in batting practice with their kids? (Actually take swings not just feed balls to the tee or machine)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 29, 2019
I'm a 40 year old fat old man and I spend about 6 rounds in the cage a week trying to learn how to lefty slap at 60mph. My kid doesn't even slap, but I feel it's really going to help my home to first time:)

She usually hits 2 rounds for every one of mine in the cages.

It's pretty fun. We also have contests to see who gets the most "hits" out of 20 machine pitches. She always wins and it's good for both of us as a reminder that she is a good athlete.

Oct 2, 2017
I do from time to time. Especially when I'm trying to show DD something new. The other day we had team Bp, we were using a machine. At the end of practice all of the coaches tried to hit. The girls were doggin us hard :ROFLMAO: Telling us we were doing it all wrong, and can't hit a ball past the dirt :ROFLMAO:

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
I do tee a few times a week and self toss at least once a week into an open pasture that I have mowed into a softball field. 200 at the corners and 220 down the middle. Its a great stress reliever and has really helped me learn what works and what doesn't. I like the long tee because I can see improvements or lack of. I have considered asking DD to front toss to me but I didnt want to embarrass myself LOL.

Any of you hitting long tee care to share your distances? My current best is about 285-300ish. Its a bit of a guess because at that distance, it will land in the trees so I have to guess at actual landing distance.

At 49, some days I can tell I took too many cuts...

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
It's been a while. Although back in the day me and the other coach would put the pitching at Max speed on the field and go for it. The 12U kids loved it. The other coach was a behemoth back in bronco and pony baseball days. He was actually 1 foot taller than every other kid. He was a man amongst children. He later went on to play LB at TCU. Anyway, I always felt inferior to him until we pulled out the pitching machine. OS took it over the fence(HS field) many times with a 32" bat and dimpled balls. There was some bat flippin' going on that day.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I (47) resemble that comment! Here is me and my DD (11) from today. I don't have a regular bat so I'm swinging my 37" Fungo. It is stupid long for tee work LOL!

That really doesn't look bad at all...

I can still hit self-toss fine, and send hard liners off slow-pitch, but I don't look that good doing it.

Apr 30, 2018
That really doesn't look bad at all...

I can still hit self-toss fine, and send hard liners off slow-pitch, but I don't look that good doing it.
I appreciate that. I was a nerd/band geek growing up and still a nerd (structural engineer) who spends entirely too much time in front of a computer screen. While I don't hit it very far at least I have some validation that my form is ok.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I do from time to time. Especially when I'm trying to show DD something new. The other day we had team Bp, we were using a machine. At the end of practice all of the coaches tried to hit. The girls were doggin us hard :ROFLMAO: Telling us we were doing it all wrong, and can't hit a ball past the dirt :ROFLMAO:

We’ve done this many times. The girls love it. I think girls can chirp with the best of them when they feel free to do so. Especially my kid. She’s brutal when I’m up to bat. I love it. Good team building and usually gets a lot of laughs.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying