How many parents participate in batting practice with their kids? (Actually take swings not just feed balls to the tee or machine)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Back when I was in my 20's, I could hit a slow pitch ball over a 300' fence. At that point, I realized that my skills can only get worse from there. That is about the time that I started playing golf. I decided then, that I could continually get better at golf the older I got, but with softball I was never gonna get any better than I was when I banging HR's. I got pretty good at golf until my DD started playing Summer Allstars with tourneys every weekend. Then I got good at the one armed fungo (which ended with a torn labrum) and coaching. Golf took a back seat for 10 years. Not anymore!!!! Now I bring my clubs when DD has her college games.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
When I was still an active coach I did a lot of tee work. I would try to get in front of machine pitching once in a while, and would have my daughter throw soft toss to me. At this point I do less of each, but my body feels it more and more the following day.

Oct 16, 2019
I am 52, short and fat, and I still at times go out and field grounders and shag fly balls when one of my daughters coaches are pitching to the girls and I have a blast. It lets my kids know that I may know a little about what I am trying to teach them. The last time I did it though, I had taken the second COVID vaccine shot that particular morning; I was so sore the next day, but I didn't know who to blame, my stupidity for playing so hard the night before or the shot. LOL I think it was my stupidity to be honest.
As far as hitting, I try to hit in the batting cages a couple of times a year, and off the tee, just to make sure I am able to follow my own instructions. :)

Aug 25, 2019
I saw a video a few years back, it was a kid (baseball) taking hitting lessons from his coach in a cage, you hear the father in the back telling the kid "do this" and "do that" until the coach finally had enough and ask the father to step in and take a few cuts, and wouldn't you know it, the father couldn't hit anything.

May 4, 2021
I'm 34 and played baseball for 20 years, including college. I can still put a pretty good swing on a ball, and do some tee work, and cage work with my DD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802