How many parents participate in batting practice with their kids? (Actually take swings not just feed balls to the tee or machine)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 30, 2018
I help coach my DD's 12u rec and now All Star Team. About a month or two ago it dawned on me that all this time I spend working with her and other kids on batting, I haven't taken real swings off a tee or pitching machine since I was a kid. Sure I toss up balls and hit them with a Fungo bat, but I'm purposely upper cutting the ball to hit high fly balls for the outfielders. I'm talking about talking proper hard swings off a tee to legitimately work on my batting form and to experiment with different drills I find on here and other internet sources. So a month or so ago I asked my DD to come outside with me and take turns with me hitting off the tee. I ask her to watch and critique me. It actually makes her more motivated to come out and do batting practice. Rather than me always critiquing her I have to learn to be open minding and listen to her. It also has made her more open to trying new drills since we both do them together. Does anyone else do this?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Jun 19, 2016
I just put the balls on the tee or toss them from behind the screen. I never had the skill to hit the ball well.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
DD and I have done this for both pitching and hitting. More for the humor of it but I’m a firm believer in the “learning through teaching” mentality. She sure likes to point out the mistakes that I should know better about.

My hitting mechanics are disgusting (we’ve filmed but it’ll never see the light of day). Not as bad as it used to be but not great. We spend so much time working with DD that my own practice time often takes a back seat.

Apr 30, 2018
Not only that, but if you're old enough, you realize that your body simply won't move the way you're instructing DD no matter how much practice you take.
I (47) resemble that comment! Here is me and my DD (11) from today. I don't have a regular bat so I'm swinging my 37" Fungo. It is stupid long for tee work LOL!
Dad.gif

Straight Leg.gif

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying