how do you take a break

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2012
DD just finished her last season of 10u. We planned on taking a 4 week break from pitching. We've never took an official break before. Can she still do light pitching drills at 60-80% effort. Can we still take ground balls and fly balls or should she take a break from overhand throwing too? It's only been 2 days and shes already itching. I guess we can always hit.

Jun 24, 2013
I do not know how much your DD pitched this year but if she wants to keep going let her go.

Hitting is always a good break from pitching. Before you know it she will be putting as much effort in hitting as she does in pitching then watch out.

Jun 24, 2013
We took a 6 month break from pitching (which included bad experiences from some travel teams and a multi-state move) but that was, in my opinion, a mistake. DD's had been making progress, but regressed some. Speed picked up some due to growth, but accuracy suffered, which could also be due to growth, but the girls have to get back at it. If your DD was the #1 P and was rode hard, then I would say, reduce the time but still continue with some sort of practice and then pick it up vigorously again later. However if she still wants to throw, then let her keep developing. My DD's always ice their shoulders after each session.

May 10, 2010
Take a break from games and tournaments but keep mechanics fresh. The off seasons are getting shorter and shorter and there has to be time dedicated to correcting issues from pitching. That is why I am an advocate for taking breaks away from games a week or two at a time. If it is a week of a tournament my dd would pitch one time then play. If no tournamnent she would pitch two times that week just for a hour or so. She takes a week to ten days when spring season is over and two full weeks after the fall season is over. We have done this for years no matter if her team was playing or not. I am more dedicated to my dd well being than the teams in the break department.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Now, when I was a kid :), we never took a break. I would let her do what she wants to do, within reason. And other sports are always a good option.

Jul 24, 2013
N. California
This is how my 10U DD wanted to spend the next three weeks before transitioning to 12's. Pitching once or twice a week for an hour with 12" ball. Hitting once or twice a week for an hour and the rest of the time spent as being a kid! It's been a long season and they deserve/earn it.

Sam

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
DD went from May of last year through mid-July of this year working on her pitching 3-5 times per week. She carried her fall ball and spring ball teams. Her season ended about 2 weeks ago, and I can tell she's mentally drained from the almost non-stop practicing. She's only pitched once in the last two weeks, and we haven't touched a softball in a while. We played volleyball last night in the backyard, and we are planning on shooting hoops tonight. Fall ball will be starting up soon, and she is moving up to 14u, so DW is freaking out that we aren't working on her pitching from 43 feet. But I think her softball tank is empty right now, and spending a few weeks away will hopefully replenish it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phoebeschultz