How do you explain when...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
How would you justify to the player/parent that you are going to take something they are currently very successful at and make them not as successful (maybe even just in the short term) in the name of "proper mechanics?"

I get it, proper mechanics COULD (probably would) help the player out in the long run but what if it doesn't?

As the coach of a team I do not think it is my responsibility to mechanically change a players anything without being asked to do so. I took the kid on my team with that mechanical flaw because presumably I saw the success. I am not going to change that.

Now if they are not successful because of a mechanical flaw we will address that with a conversation and a plan to improve (which may mean a change to mechanics).

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
To me that is one of many things about this sport that is enjoyable. I like watching college games and seeing differences in players, especially the pitchers. When a Jordy Bahl or a Millie Thompson appear and start slinging with different mechanics, it challenges my stance on what is the best approach. Many times I can logically defend my stance, other times I realize I really don't know why I believe something and I better figure it out. Sometimes I have to leave it simply as there's more than one way to skin a cat.
Brave and humble response!
👍

Jul 14, 2018
Had a girl last season who had an ugly swing. She’d drop the barrel and just swat at balls. She was super late on every swing, but man, as a right hander she consistently punched balls down the RF line. Hard to lecture a kid who leads your team in doubles.

She reminded me of this picture of Ty Cobb, who had himself a pretty good career.

5332d21aceecad43b7baf03cf5e4185e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
Had a girl last season who had an ugly swing. She’d drop the barrel and just swat at balls. She was super late on every swing, but man, as a right hander she consistently punched balls down the RF line. Hard to lecture a kid who leads your team in doubles.

She reminded me of this picture of Ty Cobb, who had himself a pretty good career.

5332d21aceecad43b7baf03cf5e4185e.jpg

Screenshot from 2022-11-16 12-49-30.png

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah, that’s an old picture, Cobb probably had to hold that position for 5+ seconds just to get an image. Didn’t mean to suggest he hit like that, just that her swing reminded me of the picture.

While the picture I posted shows him in not too dissimilar a position as typical good hitters, other parts of his swing were not great (he lunged some I think) but it worked for that era (dead ball) which was basically fastpitch small ball.

If a kid is a good player with bad mechanics (as determined by looking at the best and seeing what they do similarly) than what is primarily making them a good player, namely athleticism, isn't going to go away when you try to help them. The key is to make sure they realize why you are attempting to improve the mechanics. A simple you are a "good hitter/pitcher/etc right now but I think you can be even better" both explains that (partially, eg in a general sense) while giving them a pat on the back at the same time...

Sports have filters which get more discriminating as you move up in levels. ..

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
While the picture I posted shows him in not too dissimilar a position as typical good hitters, other parts of his swing were not great (he lunged some I think) but it worked for that era (dead ball) which was basically fastpitch small ball.

Not to derail the discussion -- I think this actually applies to what we're talking about -- but there are guys who can't get out of A ball today who would be household names if they played in Ty Cobb's era. Someone like Austin Beck, a top 10 pick who is very close to flaming out of pro ball entirely, would be one of the best players in the league because players now are just that much better.

When the quality of competition is lower, players can get away with worse mechanics if they have other great skills. Cobb had excellent hand-eye coordination, so even with a lunge-y swing, he could slap the ball all over infields that were often worse than what a random middle school team plays on today.

That doesn't mean Cobb would be bad in today's game either. It means 1905 Cobb would probably not fare well, but a guy with his raw ability would probably do just fine with some adjustments. But he'd almost certainly need to make those adjustments.

If a kid is a good player with bad mechanics (as determined by looking at the best and seeing what they do similarly) than what is primarily making them a good player, namely athleticism, isn't going to go away when you try to help them. The key is to make sure they realize why you are attempting to improve the mechanics. A simple you are a "good hitter/pitcher/etc right now but I think you can be even better" both explains that (partially, eg in a general sense) while giving them a pat on the back at the same time...

Sports have filters which get more discriminating as you move up in levels. ..

Sometimes that kid (or that kid's parents) needs to see a little bit of failure before buying in. I have a girl on our 10u team who does very well right now (except against the fastest pitcher in the league), but her DBSF is really bad, and when she moves up it's going to get her beat. We've talked to her about it. This girl has obvious upside (her brother is the best player on our HS basketball team; she has good athlete genes). But she also doesn't really seem to get that anything is wrong. We'll slowly work with her on her swing, but I'm not expecting her to buy in to needing to make big changes until she stops feasting on slow pitching/coach pitch.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad