How do you explain when...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
How do you explain when a player is having success but you disagree with the mechanics the player is doing?
Or say it this way
How do you explain when you want to change what somebody is doing because you think you know the best way to find/create success when a player has already found success the way they are doing it?

Have brought this topic up before,
Bringing it up again and presenting these questions for discussion
Because notice there are people who seem to think there's only one way for every player to find success.
Hit this way. ______
Pitch this way. ______
Catch this way. ______
Like cookie cutter approach.

*So for the people that think there's only one way to do something successfully~
Are you saying that everybody has the same visual to body timing?
The same quickness or strength as eachother?
The same flexibility as each other?
The same abilities as each other to apply the exact same mechanics?

How do you explain when.....?

Enjoy the day everybody! 👍🥳

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Exploring the reality that particular mechanical differences can be how individuals adapt to find success!

PLUS~ This awesome acknowledgment

While speaking with a DFP member he brought up a really great point he said...
Someone could post a top mlb players hitting stance and swing and block out their face, name and Jersey so no one knew who it was, that some people on The Forum would still pick it apart.

Which brings to mind this discussion point of how do you explain when somebody is having success when you disagree with their mechanics.

Thank you @___________ for your perspective!

🙂 excluded the name as to not throw somebody in front of the bus...

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019
I use efficiencies to base the discussion.

E.g., You’re making good contact, but if you adjust X, you will add more velocity to your hits without doing any extra work. Similar with throwing, running.

Limited success. Some hear “efficiency,” brain engages into “math mode,” mind closes, blank stares ensue. A few kids are great at using that to dial it.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I always use Dontrell Willis as the perfect example of someone who had a lot of success with horrible pitching mechanics. Unfortunately for him, that success didn't last because no one taught him a repeatable delivery when he was younger. Too many coaches were wowed with his velocity and movement to notice he was an absolute mess. Had he been more clean with his mechanics, maybe his career wouldn't have flamed out.

Sep 3, 2015
Some kids are so athletically gifted they succeed despite bad mechanics. It tends to come back and bite them when they get to the higher levels. Some are able to adjust, some are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 10, 2020
I always use Dontrell Willis as the perfect example of someone who had a lot of success with horrible pitching mechanics. Unfortunately for him, that success didn't last because no one taught him a repeatable delivery when he was younger. Too many coaches were wowed with his velocity and movement to notice he was an absolute mess. Had he been more clean with his mechanics, maybe his career wouldn't have flamed out.
He did far better then the majority. Has a career to be proud of.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
How do you explain when a player is having success but you disagree with the mechanics the player is doing?
Or say it this way
How do you explain when you want to change what somebody is doing because you think you know the best way to find/create success when a player has already found success the way they are doing it?
👍🥳

What level of play are we talking?

A lot of early-developers can dominate at 10u just because they are bigger, faster, stronger. They don't need great mechanics at that age. But coaches who have been around a minute can recognize that they'll likely struggle as they get older, others catch up, competition gets tougher, etc. Should we not try to improve her mechanics?

On the other hand, if you have a high-level athlete, already dominating that level, there's probably no reason to change something that's a bit unorthodox. Players aren't robots, and there is a point where we need to leave players alone. I bet someone can find something they don't like about Alo's swing, but if they're wise, they'll keep it to themselves.

Then there's the middle ground. I deal with this a lot coaching a HS team that isn't great and doesn't play the best competition. I've had girls with some pretty big mechanical flaws, but they're still performing well. They don't have aspirations to play beyond our HS team. At a certain point, I decide to stop worrying so much about fixing them and just try to maximize what I can. Often times I know they'll struggle in certain ways, but it is what it is at that point. I (and they) only have so much time, and sometimes you just have to roll with what's working well enough even if you know it could be better.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
To me that is one of many things about this sport that is enjoyable. I like watching college games and seeing differences in players, especially the pitchers. When a Jordy Bahl or a Millie Thompson appear and start slinging with different mechanics, it challenges my stance on what is the best approach. Many times I can logically defend my stance, other times I realize I really don't know why I believe something and I better figure it out. Sometimes I have to leave it simply as there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478