How do you explain when...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Do they both IR (honest question..) ?
Yes, both IR.
Other aspects of Jordy's delivery are interesting; the pre-pitch arm swing, leaning in to take the sign, the almost violent delivery, and the footwork that lead to a huge thread about leaping on here last winter/spring.
Millie was interesting because of her lean forward/off to the side posture that doesn't seem to take advantage of front-side resistance. Obviously she's a very strong pitcher with an intimidating presence and a lot of success. So then to me it becomes whether I should incorporate anything they do into what I teach.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yes, both IR.
Other aspects of Jordy's delivery are interesting; the pre-pitch arm swing, leaning in to take the sign, the almost violent delivery, and the footwork that lead to a huge thread about leaping on here last winter/spring.
Millie was interesting because of her lean forward/off to the side posture that doesn't seem to take advantage of front-side resistance. Obviously she's a very strong pitcher with an intimidating presence and a lot of success. So then to me it becomes whether I should incorporate anything they do into what I teach.
Appreciate when a person can look at more in mechanics than just looking for one thing like internal rotation.
Perhaps that is what differentiates when a person only wants a specific one thing to happen regardless of all other things involved. 🤔

Particularly because the other things involved can have a cause and effect of Their Own. A reason for why the differences are apparent!

Jun 8, 2016
Yes, both IR.
Not to be too geeky, but it really is just a matter of what is called feature selection in machine learning. If you wanted to build the simplest math model of a successful pitcher a machine learning algorithm would take the “features” (eg things like you mentioned) from your data set (eg 100 very successful pitchers) and basically determine a small subset of these features which they all had in common.

Making the model simple is important in machine learning for various reasons but in the case of working with a pitcher it allows you to concentrate your effort on the things which are the most important when it comes to performance.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Not to be too geeky, but it really is just a matter of what is called feature selection in machine learning. If you wanted to build the simplest math model of a successful pitcher a machine learning algorithm would take the “features” (eg things like you mentioned) from your data set (eg 100 very successful pitchers) and basically determine a small subset of these features which they all had in common.

Making the model simple is important in machine learning for various reasons but in the case of working with a pitcher it allows you to concentrate your effort on the things which are the most important when it comes to performance.
So, in Bahl's case, it's the leaping, right? 🤣

Sorry, I had to. That thread was so much fun.

Jun 8, 2016
Good morning,
Can you please offer your comments on style and mechanics, what is differentiating the two?View attachment 26870
Mechanics is probably a bad word but styles are things which differ between successful athletes doing a similar task while mechanics are the things a majority have in common. For example some successful IF pound their glove (rhythm thing I think) before they field a ground ball but all field a ball within the framework of their body as their left foot is touching the ground.

As an aside, it would be nice if you just put your opinion in the first post on a subject which you start a thread on as opposed to being passive aggressive towards everybody later on in the thread who post thoughts which obviously go against your opinion eg

Appreciate when a person can look at more in mechanics than just looking for one thing like internal rotation.
Perhaps that is what differentiates when a person only wants a specific one thing to happen regardless of all other things involved. 🤔

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Mechanics is probably a bad word but styles are things which differ between successful athletes doing a similar task while mechanics are the things a majority have in common. For example some successful IF pound their glove (rhythm thing I think) before they field a ground ball but all field a ball within the framework of their body as their left foot is touching the ground.

As an aside, it would be nice if you just put your opinion in the first post on a subject which you start a thread on as opposed to being passive aggressive towards everybody later on in the thread who post thoughts which obviously go against your opinion eg
There is zero intent to be passive aggressive. I am pretty clearly up front about my perspective and sharing in trying to create discussion on the Forum.
Surely your personality influences your perspective 🙂. Thank you for finding a way to add to the discussions since you cannot throw water bottles on a website. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma