How Do You Determine Your Lineup!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
STATS don't lie!

This being said, they also don't normally take into consideration the sacrifices that
we sometimes ask girls to make as a cost for wins. I too do not publish, but, 2x per season
I will privately send stats to the player/family so they understand where help is needed.
The result, girls seek more outside instruction, work harder on their own or approach
a team coach for additional reps before or after practice. This approach has worked well for me

Feb 4, 2013
STATS don't lie!

But they can be skewed. The biggest argument we get into as a coaching staff is what constitutes an error, especially when its a slapper that hit the ball. I keep stats for our TB team and tend to call more errors than infiled hits. If a player muffs, bobbles, or misplays a ball I charge an error.

Apr 1, 2010
Here is why I said what I said, I never ever want to hear a parent say to me. But sally has a lower average then my dd and she is batting more often. The first time a parent compares his dd to another kid, is when I stop listening. I don't want to hear about how crappy sally is, I want to hear what you and your dd are doing to improve her performance.

I agree with this. As a parent, it's really hard to keep yourself from comparing the kids, but it's bad for your morale and poisonous to the team if it gets around.

Last spring, DD developed an ankle problem that prevented her from catching and she also started struggling with her hitting. It became a very grim season. She was very upset that she wasn't getting to play and, most importantly for me, she was willing to put in extra work to improve and try to get back in the lineup.

So I worked with her more, got her physical therapy for her ankles, changed hitting instructors back to someone more expensive and further away, but who had been better for her, and started arranging other extra lessons when we found spare time. She turned her hitting back around, worked her way back into the batting lineup that spring, and after switching teams this fall, is also catching again. IMO it was worth the time and money, because she had the desire and drive to improve.

Ultimately, what the other girls are or aren't doing doesn't matter nearly as much as what your daughter is willing to do. Let her know that she isn't powerless; it's in her hands. If she works hard enough, she can end up getting to a point where there's no way a coach will take her out of the lineup. JMHO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl