HOW DO WE GO FORWARD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
Hope this does not get removed, I played college ball and it helped me in every job I have had in my adult life. I really think Covid 19 is a really bad Flu. It does scare me, I have not visited my mom who is in her 70's in months We as a society can not let it define us. I really believe that we need to protect those most vulnerable, but we need to allow our children who are at virtually no risk due to this disease to suffer for generations, this really seems like overkill. I myself am not in the best of shape, If this disease ends me so be it. I cannot see where our money becomes so devalued that it is worth nothing. I Love my children and think they can survive this. We need to open up the economy. If just one of our children is allowed too, they may cure cancer but only, if they can continue to attend classes, Please let them live their lives which may or may not include playing ball, I really do believe we must protect those who are most at risk, but there are many who are not at risk.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020
That didn't seem to be a question, really more of a statement of what you believe. That's fine if it's fine with the admins.

But, since I thought it was a question, I'll give you my answer. The first is we need to stop trying to ask that question. Assume that thing are going to stay they way they are for the next two weeks. The pressure of everyone fighting over when things are gong to get back to normal is just adding to the anxiety we all feel. So the first step is to just settle in for the next 14 or so days and see what happens. Telling people they were stupid, or that the lockdown was stupid, doesn't help. it actually makes things worse, because it undermines faith that the folks who are making decisions know what they are doing.

The next step is to try to find some real perspective as to what is going on, and what isn't going on. Look for newspapers around the country and read their articles. Don't just focus on whatever your preferred outlet is -- do the research and see what is happening in New York, and what is happening in Tulsa and Dallas. Florida is starting to reopen, but New York is still losing 700 people a day. Don't give into to confirmation bias -- try to find out what is really happening instead of looking for conformation to what you already believe to be true. When you do that, you may find it worse than youthought. Or you may find it better. But either way, you'll have real evidence of what is happening in America, botht eh reasons for concern and the reasons for optimism.

And when you find good news --and there is some -- share it. I thought it was awesome Tom Hanks hosted SNL this week, because it showed him looking healthy and perfectly fine. Share stories not of it being no big deal, but ones where it was a big deal but the people are fine. Don't engage in hyperbole to make a point, but if you find good news about things, tell people about it. Not in an I-told-you-so sort of way, but in a we-can-survive-this sort of way. If you want things to get back to normal, the first step is to acknowledge what we've been through, what many are still gong through.

For example, it doesn't make much sense to reopen the country if people still are going to be hesitant to go out. None of us are under lock and key, yet most of us are staying home. If a state releases its stay-at-home and restaurants and barber shops are allowed to be open, does that really help if no one is willing to go to them? Does it help things if softball tournaments are allowed to be played but organizations aren't willing to send teams to them? I think the fervor to reopen overlooks that people are still fundamentally scared. Getting past that without an actual antiviral (though the stuff from Gilead looks very promising) is going to be much more difficult than someone just throwing the doors open.

So as simple as it may sound, it's not a matter of just saying "okay, we're past it now. Get back to work." Like what happened in 2008, companies are learning that maybe they don't need all the people they had. Maybe businesses -- smartly -- will choose to stay bare boned in their staff in the fear of a new outbreak. People are still going to be hesitant to go to stores for a while; people will continue to hoard what they need. Mostly, people will be scared until the have reason and examples to not be scared anymore. So if you're asking how we move forward, I'll tell you. We move forward by hearing good news. Not by being yelled at to get a move on. If you've got good news, share it. That's how moving forward will actually look.

Aug 25, 2019
a "RAY" of hope here (pun intended)

Certainly not a cure all, but it does give hope to opening things up and maybe games in the summer time.

Reactions: NEF
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
a "RAY" of hope here (pun intended)

Certainly not a cure all, but it does give hope to opening things up and maybe games in the summer time.

Unfortunately, warm-weather states such as Florida, Texas and Louisiana have shown that there is little proof to substantiate this article when not," under strict controlled scientific tests."

Jul 29, 2013
Hope this does not get removed, I played college ball and it helped me in every job I have had in my adult life. I really think Covid 19 is a really bad Flu. It does scare me, I have not visited my mom who is in her 70's in months We as a society can not let it define us. I really believe that we need to protect those most vulnerable, but we need to allow our children who are at virtually no risk due to this disease to suffer for generations, this really seems like overkill. I myself am not in the best of shape, If this disease ends me so be it. I cannot see where our money becomes so devalued that it is worth nothing. I Love my children and think they can survive this. We need to open up the economy. If just one of our children is allowed too, they may cure cancer but only, if they can continue to attend classes, Please let them live their lives which may or may not include playing ball, I really do believe we must protect those who are most at risk, but there are many who are not at risk.
I agree with you whole heartedly. We can't live our lives focused on preventing our deaths. That's not living.
There's risk in everything we do. The cost to avoid the small, albeit deadly risk of this virus is too great. These are extreme measures.
I would not want to burden the people I love and the folks around me with loss of job, home, the mere joy of interacting with others, just so I might avoid a virus that, at this point, has less that a 1% morbidity rate.
If the press spent 24/7 going on an on about the risk of death from the flu, these knuckleheads would lock themselves in and never see the light of day.
I want the freedom to live my life, not spend every day worried about my demise.
If someone wants to shutter themself away, there's nothing stopping them. If you're at risk, you could lock your door and tell me to go away.
Don't deny others their freedom.
That's how you start wars.

Jul 29, 2013
That didn't seem to be a question, really more of a statement of what you believe. That's fine if it's fine with the admins.

But, since I thought it was a question, I'll give you my answer. The first is we need to stop trying to ask that question. Assume that thing are going to stay they way they are for the next two weeks. The pressure of everyone fighting over when things are gong to get back to normal is just adding to the anxiety we all feel. So the first step is to just settle in for the next 14 or so days and see what happens. Telling people they were stupid, or that the lockdown was stupid, doesn't help. it actually makes things worse, because it undermines faith that the folks who are making decisions know what they are doing.

The next step is to try to find some real perspective as to what is going on, and what isn't going on. Look for newspapers around the country and read their articles. Don't just focus on whatever your preferred outlet is -- do the research and see what is happening in New York, and what is happening in Tulsa and Dallas. Florida is starting to reopen, but New York is still losing 700 people a day. Don't give into to confirmation bias -- try to find out what is really happening instead of looking for conformation to what you already believe to be true. When you do that, you may find it worse than youthought. Or you may find it better. But either way, you'll have real evidence of what is happening in America, botht eh reasons for concern and the reasons for optimism.

And when you find good news --and there is some -- share it. I thought it was awesome Tom Hanks hosted SNL this week, because it showed him looking healthy and perfectly fine. Share stories not of it being no big deal, but ones where it was a big deal but the people are fine. Don't engage in hyperbole to make a point, but if you find good news about things, tell people about it. Not in an I-told-you-so sort of way, but in a we-can-survive-this sort of way. If you want things to get back to normal, the first step is to acknowledge what we've been through, what many are still gong through.

For example, it doesn't make much sense to reopen the country if people still are going to be hesitant to go out. None of us are under lock and key, yet most of us are staying home. If a state releases its stay-at-home and restaurants and barber shops are allowed to be open, does that really help if no one is willing to go to them? Does it help things if softball tournaments are allowed to be played but organizations aren't willing to send teams to them? I think the fervor to reopen overlooks that people are still fundamentally scared. Getting past that without an actual antiviral (though the stuff from Gilead looks very promising) is going to be much more difficult than someone just throwing the doors open.

So as simple as it may sound, it's not a matter of just saying "okay, we're past it now. Get back to work." Like what happened in 2008, companies are learning that maybe they don't need all the people they had. Maybe businesses -- smartly -- will choose to stay bare boned in their staff in the fear of a new outbreak. People are still going to be hesitant to go to stores for a while; people will continue to hoard what they need. Mostly, people will be scared until the have reason and examples to not be scared anymore. So if you're asking how we move forward, I'll tell you. We move forward by hearing good news. Not by being yelled at to get a move on. If you've got good news, share it. That's how moving forward will actually look.
It makes a lot of sense to open the country, even if people are afraid to go out. That's their choice. Others may choose to go out. Freedom would allow them that choice. Otherwise, we're all prisoners to a select few who deem themselves lords over us all.

Mar 10, 2020
You go forward with a vaccine or testing and contact tracing. End of discussion.
To those posters who keep saying vaccine.
Have asked this question befor on this forum. Lets discuss this.
Will a vaccine equal to the influenza vaccine at 40% be good enough?
Not everyone gets that vaccine. Not everyone will get any vaccine. Heck some families chose not to immunize they're babies.
It is no where near 100%.
What say you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes