How Best to Protect Softball Equipment During Air Travel

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
DD will have some out of state travel in the coming months. What is the best way to pack your softball equipment bag when flying? Do you need to buy a hard case so your composite bats don't get damaged and/or stolen?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I carry everything on, that I will need - minus the bat. So, cleats, uniforms and glove go in the carry on. I don't carry a good enough bat, that anyone would want it.

My other clothes are packed in my bat bag.

Sometimes, a coach will drive ahead and he can take the bats.

Dec 7, 2011
Funny how you can carry-on a tennis racket, banjo, etc,..... but a bat - now that's an unacceptable weapon....

In my baseball days I was annoyed with having to check-in my way too expensive bats even back in that day before electricity :)

And those were alloy bats I was worried about dinging not these "look at them the wrong way and they shatter" composite bats.

I would get a hard-case for bats.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
DD will have some out of state travel in the coming months. What is the best way to pack your softball equipment bag when flying? Do you need to buy a hard case so your composite bats don't get damaged and/or stolen?

Offer a 6 pack to the one player's Dad who is driving and have him take your bag! There is always one on each team who drives.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I agree with the recommendations to carry on all essential equipment - glove, uniform, cleats. You can always borrow or buy a new bat if the airline loses your checked luggage. I save the cardboard boxes the bats come in and have used those for flights. You can also buy round tubes that are used for blue prints - just make sure you tape up the ends.

Oct 10, 2014
Peach State
Last summer, we bought a hard suitcase for DD that is large enough to fit the bat. We pack carefully around the bat with her clothing. She puts uniforms and glove in her carry-in bag. However, if there is a parent driving the team trailer, we always send the bat with that person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom