Hitting two handed fly balls

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Whether it's one-handed or two-handed Watching a coach be lazy and hit sloppy grounders or fly balls sets a bad standard on the field.

To promote better softball,
think it's best for the defense to see two-handed swings because that is the majority of game like visual representation of the ball coming off the bat.
Seeing body mechanics going into the swing is part of reacting to ball off the bat.
I agree with your point about reacting to proper swing mechanics, but I also see value in lazy and sloppy grounders since many in-game hits are not cookie-cutter fly balls or sharp single-hop grounders right to the player. But I suppose mishits are more for practice to stretch a fielder's skills rather than pre-game warm-up routine.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
since this thread has been going...i've actually been watching opposition coaches and hitting one versus 2 handed and have yet to lose a game to one hand hitting coach.... YMMV. lol
I bet this guy's team could beat your team. He wouldn't even need a bat to hit I/O.

1687800195999.png

Oct 26, 2019
Anyone use an actual fungo bat for drills? What are your thoughts?
I do. I use an SSK wood infield fungo (not as long as traditional fungos. I’m a baseball guy though and old habits die hard. I can usually tell how good a team is going to be watching their coach hit fungos. If he has a glove on one hand and a bat in the other for ground balls I’m pretty confident in a W for us :)

Reactions: JaC
Jan 25, 2022
I do. I use an SSK wood infield fungo (not as long as traditional fungos. I’m a baseball guy though and old habits die hard. I can usually tell how good a team is going to be watching their coach hit fungos. If he has a glove on one hand and a bat in the other for ground balls I’m pretty confident in a W for us :)

We have a 36" fungo at the field but I can't use it much. It's great for controlling distances and all, but it kills my wrists. Maybe the smaller version is worth trying. Gonna have to send the kids out for a bucket fundraiser!

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
since this thread has been going...i've actually been watching opposition coaches and hitting one versus 2 handed and have yet to lose a game to one hand hitting coach.... YMMV. lol
So true. You can't hit the ball hard enough one handed so your team is getting shitty reps. I also think it says a lot about the coach's attention to detail, so I'm guessing they've cut corners elsewhere in their coaching.

My rule is if you see a coach hitting infield one handed bet on the other team. Also if one of the base coaches is keeping the book then bet on the opponent. If the head coach is keeping book, even in the dugout, bet on the other team. There's lots of money to be made if you know what the give aways are. If you're unsure who to bet on look at the right fielder. She'll tell you everything you need to know.

Oct 26, 2019
We have a 36" fungo at the field but I can't use it much. It's great for controlling distances and all, but it kills my wrists. Maybe the smaller version is worth trying. Gonna have to send the kids out for a bucket fundraiser!
I never liked the longer ones. If you are hitting a lot of flyballs on a big baseball field they do the job, but the shorter one is all that is needed for softball. I prefer the wood ones. The sound is better and the wood helps control the distances better IMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00