Hit or error?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2019
Even top notch college softball players make mental errors. Bama on defense, runner on 3rd with 1 out. Grounder to 3rd, 3B fields and catches runner between 3B and home, but inexplicably throws to 1st for the out. RBI to hitter and earned run scored to P. No error for 3B even though she allowed the run.

Jun 8, 2016
Even top notch college softball players make mental errors. Bama on defense, runner on 3rd with 1 out. Grounder to 3rd, 3B fields and catches runner between 3B and home, but inexplicably throws to 1st for the out. RBI to hitter and earned run scored to P. No error for 3B even though she allowed the run.
Score? Inning? If you are up by 5 runs in the last inning that isn't a bad play..

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
We had a pitcher come in in a bases loaded/no out situation. We'd already given up a run with a bases loaded walk. She managed to get out of the inning with just one run being scored and striking out the rest. Ended up pitching super well the rest of the game. Gave up one HR in the last inning she cried after the game - forgetting that she pitched really good. This team actually went on to win the tournament against some really tough competition and she basically held the team to 1 run as the other run she gave up wasn't even hers. It's always easier to see the bad and forget the good. It was essentially a pitcher's duel since both pitchers struck out like 15 total. Sucked that we couldn't get any hits to support her.
My DD was 10 her first year where pitching really clicked. We were playing a double header of 6 inning games. She pitched her first no hitter with 18 Ks. Not a single ball hit fair. But she walked 2 who wound up scoring due to the ball being thrown around. Typical 10u stuff. We lost the game 2-1. She was in the car pissed for losing because she could have hit better and maybe they would have won. She could not get past the bad.

May 16, 2016
If you are scoring, it's your judgement, and your call.

At the end of the day, the only people who care are the pitcher's parents, and the outfielder's parents. The pitcher knows it was an error. The outfielder knows it was an error, and the coach knows it was an error.

The other team is keeping their own book, so they could care less how you score it.

Mar 4, 2015
New England
If you are scoring, it's your judgement, and your call.

At the end of the day, the only people who care are the pitcher's parents, and the outfielder's parents. The pitcher knows it was an error. The outfielder knows it was an error, and the coach knows it was an error.

The other team is keeping their own book, so they could care less how you score it.

IMO ...

If the scorekeeper is keeping the book for himself, he should score however he pleases.

If he's scoring for the coaches, he should ask how they want it to be done. "Do you want me to use the official rules of scoring, or can I make up my own rules?"

If he's submitting stats to the media or sharing with anyone to satisfy their curiosity, he should include a disclaimer, "I don't adhere to the rules of scoring. I have my own system.''

If it's a college or professional team, he is obliged to adhering to the official rules.

Oct 4, 2018
I've totally decided already. As far as I'm concerned, it's an error, whether physical or mental is irrelevant. The CF ran in after the inning and went right up to my daughter and said, "That was my mistake. That one's on me, not you. I should've had that ball."

The problem is scorekeeping is so subjective. The example I posted above was from a MLB game in which the official scorer ruled a ball that dropped in as an error to protect a no-hitter. He ruled the player should've made the play easily. In the end, a clean single happened with two outs in the ninth, so it was rendered moot.

It's only subjective because everyone in the world calls it a double except the pitcher's dad. :p

Oct 4, 2018
I didn't read all the replies so this may have already been stated, but...what if the wind takes a popup? That's not an error is it? IMO it's the same thing. Regardless of the circumstances, the ball was misjudged.

Yup. Or if the fielder is really slow.

Not an error if she didn't get to a ball that everyone else would have. One girl is the slowest on the team...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG