Hip/Arm Problems

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 16, 2013
I am teaching an 11-year old to pitch for first time. She has good speed and the basic mechanics down, but she is having a lot of trouble keeping a relaxed arm and getting her hips in the way. She ends up having a crooked arm to go around her hips and the ball shoots off to the side. I have currently been doing arm circles on a wall in an open position and then the three arm circles before she releases. We have also been working up close with the puck. Does anyone have any different drills I could try to work on this?

I am also looking for different drills in general for beginning pitchers? I have the usual 4 or 5 but am always looking for different ones.

Thanks.

Jan 25, 2011
What do you teach? I quess it would be easier to have an understanding of how you instruct. Maybe some examples.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
Open style if that's what you are looking for?
You never know what one teaches. Around where I live, everybody teaches slam the hip shut and hello elbow. My dd doesn't pitch that way. She goes to Hillhouse during the summer and when we can catch him on and off during the winter. I work with her the rest of the time.

Jan 25, 2011
One thing to stress is the hip follows the release of the ball, not before or at the sametime, after.

Sep 16, 2013
Yeah. I have been stressing that a lot. Using cues like 'snap/release, hips'.

I can give you some examples of what I look for when it comes to mechanics? I focus on them using the power line, driving straight out to catcher, having the body 'sideways' to catcher and then closing up. I work on using the glove hand to help with closing up, and following through with the pitching arm relatively straight. Front foot landing at a 45 degree angle. And pushing off the mound for power.

What I have been noticing with her is that her arm bends as it goes around to compensate for her hips closing too early and none of the drills I have done so far seem to be clicking or working as well as I hoped.

Jan 25, 2011
Try one of the drills Bill uses, standing open in a K drill and having her throw into her glove.

May 29, 2013
It has been said here by so many people, but it is worth saying again. The I.r. In the classroom thread is required reading as well as the other sticky regarding i.r.. For me the thing that really helped myself and my dd was that board member explains the importance of just being able to play catch with I.r.. Ya, playing catch underhanded is not pitching. But jeez, I didn't realize how much I was trying to put the cart before the horse when I was trying to teach her to pitch without even having the core part of the process nailed down. If you were to teach someone how to pitch but they had never thrown a ball before, what is the first thing you would teach them? Most kids, heck, most people have never thrown a ball like this.

Teach them how to throw, then teach them how to pitch. I.m.o., nothing else matters until you do. Want to build your house from the roof down?, or start with a solid foundation? I pick the latter.

All credit to board member and anyone else here who is an I.r. Preacher/teacher.