Rick Pauly courses

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
Rick's courses are excellent. And they're not just for the pitcher but also for her coach. :)

It's funny to see this. Not that you're wrong, but it never even crossed my mind that the pitcher themselves would do this program. I've showed my daughter a couple videos explaining one specific thing we're working on, but otherwise I would only consider the program to be for pitching coaches and bucket parents.

Jan 25, 2022
To be fair and honest, I have not seen any of Rick's courses. So I cannot speak to them, one way or another.

But this comment I quoted above caught my eye. I don't think the regulars who read this board often realize how different they are from the masses. While I do not agree with a lot of what I read on here, there one thing I respect is how many pitching coaches here share their info and are always looking to improve their own coaching. Those 2 things are pretty rare. But the overwhelming majority of pitching coaches out there, both the locals and the Nationally known coaches, do not continue their quest for pitching knowledge and training techniques. Most of those coaches will discourage their students from going to camps, clinics and hearing other pitching coaches speak. In my experience (and I've been doing this for about 23 years) the majority of coaches are so protective and territorial, with the majority out there still being H/E style coaches, my guess is 99% will balk at watching something new, especially when it refutes what they teach.

Thats what makes the majority on this forum unique, and should be applauded. I don't know how many coaches here were initially H/E coaches that have transitioned but you are in the minority. The overwhelming majority of pitching coaches in the USA still teach H/E, and they believe those who aren't teaching that are clearly in the wrong. They'll say softball pitching has been around for 100 years and this "new age" style of pitching can't be right, since they've been coaching their own way for 40 years.

I really wish more coaches would be like the majority on here, sharing and learning. And 10 points to anyone who can get an "established" H/E coach to take Rick's course or even join this site!!! And like most things in life, it's usually the ones who need it the most who are the least likely to actually do it.

I really respect you guys on here for doing your due diligence on pitching. I sincerely mean that.

I did actually have a reformed HE coach message me on facebook about this course. They had already reformed but were looking for good instruction to supplement what they'd picked up on their own. There are a few out there, at least. :)

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
It's funny to see this. Not that you're wrong, but it never even crossed my mind that the pitcher themselves would do this program. I've showed my daughter a couple videos explaining one specific thing we're working on, but otherwise I would only consider the program to be for pitching coaches and bucket parents.
I don't know about you but I may see my students weekly or every other week. To me, this means the student and her coach/parent/whoever needs to practice two other times per week, 50-60 balls, eh? So, I guess I don't know why both student and parent wouldn't be part of this training. :)

Aug 21, 2008
I did actually have a reformed HE coach message me on facebook about this course. They had already reformed but were looking for good instruction to supplement what they'd picked up on their own. There are a few out there, at least. :)
That doesn't count, you don't get the 10 points. Sorry. You shouldn't have said the coach was already reformed. I'll give you 4 points.

Jan 25, 2022
I don't know about you but I may see my students weekly or every other week. To me, this means the student and her coach/parent/whoever needs to practice two other times per week, 50-60 balls, eh? So, I guess I don't know why both student and parent wouldn't be part of this training. :)

Parent for sure. Parent involvement is the fastest skill accelerator in youth sports. But just from an instruction standpoint, I don't think my daughter would get a ton out of it for herself as a pitcher. It's too hard for them to tell what's going on. I'm sure it varies from.stufent to student though.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
Parent for sure. Parent involvement is the fastest skill accelerator in youth sports. But just from an instruction standpoint, I don't think my daughter would get a ton out of it for herself as a pitcher. It's too hard for them to tell what's going on. I'm sure it varies from.stufent to student though.
I understand completely. I do have my students "instruct" their parent/coach in what we are doing. I feel it gives them a better understanding of what and how we want to accomplish a given skill and it also helps the parent/coach get a good feel for what we're doing. So if I know a parent has signed up for one of Rick's courses and the parent is using a particular lesson, I will have the student teach the parent. Not for everyone, I know, but, again, parents see the student way more than I do. I appreciate your comments.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles