High school softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Well, the truth is, they don't get 6 years to decide. They need to know this by 14u, if playing on a A-level Travel team. The sole purpose is to make the team showcase ready so, if the girl isn't ready to make the commitment to playing at that level to attract college coaches, oh well. There are no other options for that age group, other than high school.

What I mean is that you really can decide if you want to play college up until the minute college starts. Yes, you need to get an offer, and to get an offer you need to be on the right teams playing the right competition. So yes, you have 6 years to decide if you really want to commit to playing college ball. But if you bail out at 12 (or 14, in your example) you then don't have that option to play in college probably.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Well, the truth is, they don't get 6 years to decide. They need to know this by 14u, if playing on a A-level Travel team. The sole purpose is to make the team showcase ready so, if the girl isn't ready to make the commitment to playing at that level to attract college coaches, oh well. There are no other options for that age group, other than high school.

This is your experience with the journey of one player (your DGD). The experience is not the same for everyone.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
overly dramatic to make statements like that.
There are teams that aren't as driven as the one your granddaughter encountered.

It is good to see you recognize there are different team levels and opportunities there are A B,C, level teams and you recognized high schools an opportunity And you mentioned before your daughter is doing now snowboarding and playing basketball right...
opportunities she chose.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
I've gotten a bit involved in the inner-workings of my DD's high school team. When we do fundraisers, a healthy portion of the money we raise goes to the football program.

I was flabbergasted.
Does the softball team have its own booster club or does the school have a central one?

Jun 27, 2021
I really have never run into a college coach that cares all that much about how you performed in HS softball. If your school does have a team and you DON'T play they may ask why (and you better be able to answer that question) but that is about it.

They will care that you can academically qualify for the school.
But coaches kind of expect those they are recruiting are all state, all region, all name the award player in their area or in the conversation. If you play competitive travel ball at a high level more times than not you are the best player on your HS team. So to say it does not matter isn't entirely true.

Jun 8, 2016
But coaches kind of expect those they are recruiting are all state, all region, all name the award player in their area or in the conversation. If you play competitive travel ball at a high level more times than not you are the best player on your HS team. So to say it does not matter isn't entirely true.
You know this first hand for several college coaches?

Jun 27, 2021
Not always the case, I look back on my daughters 14U team and on that team of 11-12 kids.
2- D1 pitchers
1- D1 1B/DH
2- players D2/NAIA
1- Juco
2- stopped to play other sports and not sure of the rest.
All had aspirations of playing college, some more than others and it took care of itself and each kids journey is different. Mine at 14 wanted to play but wasn't her life. She is one of the two P headed to play D1. Each kids path is different but the main thing at that age if the kid has aspirations to play on it being realistic about where they are. And let's be honest, A-level to one area may be B-C level in another area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes