High school softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Did you look into where the money football raises goes?

I'm not privy to that level of info. I'm told all football money goes to football, and some of all the other sports money goes to football. I'm told by people who are privy to those details.

Jun 27, 2021
HS ended travel began and she went on to hit 12 HR in 30 games and had an average over .500 playing at TNJ, IDT and PGF in CA. Who knows what her deal was in HS but she just didn't perform at all. Come Sept 1 got an email from her future coach and was recruited, visited & committed and not a word was ever said about HS ball - none. Coach didn't care one bit and that's good because she prefers to never discuss last HS season again. Ever. FYI she is also the only 2023 on her HS team committed at this point and had the lowest HS stats out of all of them. 🤷‍♀️

So maybe it's antidotal only for our one experience but my daughter is 100% living proof that some coaches don't give one rat's butt about HS ball performance because if they did she would be out.
Every kid/player has a different story and process. Yours tossed in 12 HR right before Sept. 1st and had a down year in HS for whatever reason, that would stick out like I stated about pitching or big bat previously being able to find the other side of the fence. Some coaches as you said, don't care..... but they all will post in the press release after signing day your HS accolades and awards.

Congratulations to your player

Aug 6, 2013
Every kid/player has a different story and process. Yours tossed in 12 HR right before Sept. 1st and had a down year in HS for whatever reason, that would stick out like I stated about pitching or big bat previously being able to find the other side of the fence. Some coaches as you said, don't care..... but they all will post in the press release after signing day your HS accolades and awards.

Congratulations to your player
Thank you. You're right I did throw that in because what she does in HS didn't define her at all. Others have also made the statement on this thread unilaterally that D1 recruited players are good in HS and that simply isn't always the case. It wasn't in my DD's case. Man I hope her Junior HS season is better now that all the pressure is off, lol. Otherwise they won't have a dang thing to put on any press release at signing about HS, lol.

Oct 5, 2017
Western Indiana
I've gotten a bit involved in the inner-workings of my DD's high school team. When we do fundraisers, a healthy portion of the money we raise goes to the football program.

I was flabbergasted.
This is just crazy. Every sport at our school does a fundraiser to help fund their program.
The athletic department does a fundraiser on its own and has the concessions stands to help programs that need a little extra. To be honest if I had softball players fundraising for the football program there would not be a lot of effort put into it.

Jan 31, 2011
Thank you. You're right I did throw that in because what she does in HS didn't define her at all. Others have also made the statement on this thread unilaterally that D1 recruited players are good in HS and that simply isn't always the case. It wasn't in my DD's case. Man I hope her Junior HS season is better now that all the pressure is off, lol. Otherwise they won't have a dang thing to put on any press release at signing about HS, lol.
With kids there are so many things in play mentally. My middle DD had a similar thing happen years ago. Her HS coach for her freshman year is a legend in our area. He retired that year & the change was unbelievable. She always had a good bat & hit like 0.450 as a freshman. Her soph year hitting dropped significantly and was a total head case. I can remember giving her more reps, talking about what was going on, and finally saying, "Just hit the damn ball! You know how to hit!" LOL. (bad dad moment for sure) Her response had a lot to do with not buying into what the new coach was selling. The team was a mess and underachieving. The new coach was only going to be there one year & it was devastating to the program.

Maybe your DD has some mental things going on that were all removed when she got back with her TB team? I wish I had tried to work with my DD more on mental approach to hitting. She didn't need anymore reps. Things like focusing on each pitch, ignoring the noise, and try to control your controllables.

Jun 8, 2016
I can remember giving her more reps, talking about what was going on, and finally saying, "Just hit the damn ball! You know how to hit!" LOL. (bad dad moment for sure)
Depending on your tone, that could have been the best thing you could have said at that moment..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802