High School Program Information

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
School of 450 kids. Middle school is the same size. We did MS cuts two seasons ago, but it was mostly to get rid of some dead weight. We advertised that there would be tryouts and cuts about 6 months beforehand so no one could complain.

HS hasn't done any cuts for many years as far as I know. I think they have 18. They have JV, which is comprised of anyone who didn't play in the varsity game, although that can change from night to night. The rule here is anyone but seniors can play JV. It's only loosely enforced, though, for reasons of skill, staffing, player ages, ec. We only have one MS player playing up.

Apr 12, 2015
Local High School has about 80 girls tryout each year, 8th grade through 12th. They keep 30, 15 Varsity and 15 Jr Varsity. No "C" or Freshman teams, they can't find games to fill the schedule for those teams.

May 31, 2018
Allen TX
We are a BIG school in Texas. we have V (14 girls), JV1 (11 girls), and JV2 (11 girls). No cuts made, but several girls cut themselves after a few workouts in the fall, and some girls transferred or left program when they did not make Varsity. All girls on Varsity and JV1 play high-mid level travel ball, and most on JV2 do as well. We even have a committed Junior on JV1.

Varsity practices separately, and JV teams practice together. JV usually practices before school, and Varsity after school while in-season. In the fall they practiced at the same time, but we have 2 turfed softball fields, so they were still separated. All 3 teams travel separately even though V and JV1 will play back to back against same school during district play. JV1 games start at 5pm and V starts at 7pm.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We have V and JV. We do have cuts. Our school is 1,100. We keep 22 in the program most years but this year, we kept 24. We practice together most of the time but find time to split off into V and JV. I coach almost all of the hitting and, at times, the V defense. We have 3 paid coaches and I am a volunteer. Two other former players volunteer a lot and so, we sometimes have practice with 6 coaches there. All of the coaches except the HC and one assistant are former players of mine so I am so proud of them and how they have grown.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
420 kids.
~30 kids to divvy up between V and JV, and occasionally a C-squad, if our opponents have one. Usually all teams play the same schedule and at the same time.
~30 MS kids (7th and 8th grades). A couple kids will play up as needed.
Never cut anybody. Sometimes there's a kid I wish they would, but I keep my thoughts to myself.
Three coaches (four w/MS), and two volunteers.

May 20, 2015
small school in maine, enrollment a shade north of 250......program has gone back to back class C, won 37 straight......while we did graduate 4 starters with two playing in college, we are favorites again

the past 3 years we've averages 17-22, we've kept 12 with varsity, some years we practice all together, other years it's separate with some swing kids who dress for both (they tended to practice with both, too)

this year we have 16.......really kind of like 15.5, with one being new and attendance has been spotty.......we will practice together, we will play mostly JV DH's on saturdays, maybe a few games we will pick up a few innings of JV after varsity

Jul 14, 2018
Our HS has 1100 students, 9-12. This year we had 29 try out for softball. 18 on varsity, 8 on JV, three cuts who had no softball experience. The short JV team means that a couple of varsity players have to fill in every game, they mostly rotate.

Last year they graduated five seniors, all are playing in college. This year there are three senior commits and three junior commits. It’s a strong team, but not strong enough. One team in our conference is much bigger, 2k students and very strong. Another is a private school that recruits from all over.

Generally speaking, the level of play is pretty high: all but the three doormat teams field nine travel players every game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2020
Our HS has about ~1900 students 9-12. Up to this year (spring 2023), the school only had 20-24 girls try out so we had V and JV squads, pretty evenly split for about 3 years. The old coach leaves in January 2023 and 53 girls tried out this year. The new HS coach started in March and is not cutting. So we have a V, JV, and Froshmore squads.

There were only 3 seniors on last year's team, so Varsity is last year's team with 2 or 3 additions. DD is a freshman on the JV squad but might have to pitch the Froshmore games if they don't overlap with the JV.

The new coach says she's planning on rotating as much as she can, but as with any new management situation, it's a wait-and-see thing. Most of the players are former town travel (USA Softball Class C) and we play a lot of teams with stacked travel ball rosters. It's going to be a mighty interesting Spring.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
DDs school has almost 3k students. Had V (22) and JV (13) this past season. A lot of the girls on V really only played on JV - we tend to put all juniors on V even if they won't play. Most practices were together. In years past they did a lot of JV/V doubleheaders but this season we had a lot of separate travel schedules. We had 6 seniors this year and 2 quit as they were not getting any playing time (though both did play travel). The last few years we've had girls come up who are ranked so they are of course immediately put on Varsity.

Our team is okay currently - we've been really good in the past - won state and national at least once. We play a hard schedule - the #1 team in the nation was in our region this year. Made it to playoffs this year for the first time since 2019 and I expect that should happen again next year. I know a lot of the teams in our region are graduating really good seniors. We still have a lot of younger girls who I think could do very well. And the younger ones are the ones who are ranked.

We play fall ball so most Travel teams here don't start until November. We have some girls that play on National teams so they play some fall ball but then do other sports in the spring until their travel team is ready to play (as I know most states do softball in spring)

Aug 5, 2022
About 1200 kids, solid program historically. Coach keeps 30ish kids in the program. So some years we see cuts some years we don’t. Usually it’s a 14:16 split. At the varsity level we have college commits even some D1 commits that don’t see the field. These are usually kids that end up behind another D1 commit at their primary position and are limited in their ability to play elsewhere. Example a corner infielder that’s too slow to play outfield. It’s an embarrassment of riches at time but the game is all about the circle. It’s hard to go far in the play offs when your dependent on a slug fest to win games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles