HELP! please evaluate my daughters swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Me too..I am not talking about playing multiple sports. I am talking about trying to perfect two different types of swings.

I also encourage my hitters to pick up golf (i.e., a different swing type) and discover if that may be one of their passions. I don't have an issue with a hitter learning mechanics for various activities.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The kids I coached never had a problem going and playing slow pitch for fun.

Many of the fastpitch girls I worked with were happy to drive the ball 200ft. Those that entered slowpitch quickly set a target of driving the ball 300+ ft. For them it wouldn't have been a lot of 'fun' for them to drive the ball 100ft less than many others were driving the ball.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
DFP?? Fast being the key word hear. In California, I have never heard of girls trying to play FP and SP. That said, the two swings are very different. Sp is in some ways more like a golf swing. Long and fluid. Armbar and casting for max power.

Feb 22, 2016
Honestly she needs help with both. She has no power in either fast pitch or slow pitch. We just happen to be in slow pitch season and I didn't realize there were differences between a slow pitch swing and a fast swing. She is first off the bench in slow pitch but not even sniffing the field in fast pitch. I'm just trying to improve her power in some way to gain her playing time in both sports. I don't know whether to work solely on a slow pitch swing and then a fast pitch in a few weeks, or just work on a fast pitch swing in hopes of major improvement there and just take what we get (for now) with slow pitch. Its all very confusing. I'm sorry I did not intend to cause arguments. I thank all of you for taking time out of your day to help me and my daughter.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Honestly she needs help with both. She has no power in either fast pitch or slow pitch. We just happen to be in slow pitch season and I didn't realize there were differences between a slow pitch swing and a fast swing. She is first off the bench in slow pitch but not even sniffing the field in fast pitch. I'm just trying to improve her power in some way to gain her playing time in both sports. I don't know whether to work solely on a slow pitch swing and then a fast pitch in a few weeks, or just work on a fast pitch swing in hopes of major improvement there and just take what we get (for now) with slow pitch. Its all very confusing. I'm sorry I did not intend to cause arguments. I thank all of you for taking time out of your day to help me and my daughter.

I would focus on the FP swing as it is more difficult to master IMO. And you can adjust from there.

Good luck and thanks for stirring up discussion on discuss fast pitch!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I would focus on the FP swing as it is more difficult to master IMO. And you can adjust from there.

Good luck and thanks for stirring up discussion on discuss fast pitch!

I'm not following the logic here.

This kid is struggling fiercely, has had 6 months of paid instruction with no progress, and your recommendation is to go the hard route and work on a sport that she won't be playing for 9 months.

Why not focus on developing what you perceive to be as the easier swing during a time that the sport is in season?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Given some of the responses I suspect that there is a disrespect for slow pitch softball. While slow pitch may not be the passion of those commenting, we should respect that it is the passion of others.

I wouldn't totally snub slow pitch softball. The slow pitch swing has attributes that are worth understanding. The current all-time MLB home-run hitter captured some important slow-pitch swing attributes.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma