Hello from just outside Orlando Florida.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2019
Hello all,

Came across this site last night when I started researching for a new bat for my 6 year old. This is her 5th season of softball and I think she finally good enough to spend some money on a decent bat. I'll post in that section for suggestions. I also started coaching her team this season. 9 6 year olds is fun! lol Big UCF fan too... Go Knights, Charge On!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Welcome to DFP! Enjoy the ride :)

As for bats...Save your money until she's in 10U. For now, buy the one she likes the look of.

If I recall, coaching 6yos is kind of like herding cats. Good luck! :D

May 10, 2019
Welcome to DFP! Enjoy the ride :)

As for bats...Save your money until she's in 10U. For now, buy the one she likes the look of.

If I recall, coaching 6yos is kind of like herding cats. Good luck! :D
Hearding cats is a good comparison. Season is over on Monday so I get a break until the fall. I was looking to get her a bat that was like 75-125. So, not a cheap walmart bat, but also not a $300 bat either.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Hearding cats is a good comparison. Season is over on Monday so I get a break until the fall. I was looking to get her a bat that was like 75-125. So, not a cheap walmart bat, but also not a $300 bat either.

What will the $75-125 bat give her that the WalMart bat won't? She's hitting softie/RIF balls off a tee, right? Coach-pitch, maybe? The best thing you can do is get her a bat of the appropriate size and weight for her to be able to swing efficiently. No special material or technology will be a benefit at this level. I'm a guy that really enjoys spending money on great gear, but it has to make sense. All that said, the most important thing is that she likes it and can swing it well.

May 10, 2019
What will the $75-125 bat give her that the WalMart bat won't? She's hitting softie/RIF balls off a tee, right? Coach-pitch, maybe? The best thing you can do is get her a bat of the appropriate size and weight for her to be able to swing efficiently. No special material or technology will be a benefit at this level. I'm a guy that really enjoys spending money on great gear, but it has to make sense. All that said, the most important thing is that she likes it and can swing it well.
I'm new to this so I am not sure lol Our league does 4 pitches via pitching machine and then 2 tries off a tee if needed. I just figured a better bat would put some more pop behind her hits.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm new to this so I am not sure lol Our league does 4 pitches via pitching machine and then 2 tries off a tee if needed. I just figured a better bat would put some more pop behind her hits.

That's a decent approach for players that age. Good that your league is developing hitting starting at an early age. Its things like this that contribute to FL continuing to be a hot-spot for softball talent.

At this age, slow swings speeds and squishy balls make bat technology pretty irrelevant.

Jan 27, 2019
Headed to Orlando at the end of June for some family vacay time! I agree completely with Eric. There is going to be plenty of time to spend money on softball over the next 10-12 years. Keep working on basic fundamentals and building a love for the game. If she wants to play again next year you've done 75% of your job at 6U.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Always liked rummaging through Play It Again Sports for experimenting with equipment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck