Guest playing- USA softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 8, 2019
Our HS team is getting together to play in one tournament to honor a deceased teammate. It’s a sanctioned USA Softball tournament. One player was told by her TB Coach that she cannot participate in that tournament because she’s rostered on his team.
I don’t know what the rules are when it comes to using Guest players- is it never allowed ? or is it only with the permission of her coach? Or does it all depend....
TIA

Aug 20, 2017
Most states can’t play a full high school team in a travel tournament. Most rules state that no more than 40% of a travel roster can be made of the same high school team.

On picking up players that are rostered on another TB team: depends on class of pick up player and class of the team picking her up. Most sanctions will not allow a player to play down a class unless it’s an open tournament.

Doubt that helps but hope it does

Feb 3, 2011
Most states can’t play a full high school team in a travel tournament. Most rules state that no more than 40% of a travel roster can be made of the same high school team.
I think you are describing rules that pertain to the state high school athletic associations - you are not supposed to keep a high team running year-round. I know SoCal USA softball has its own Yellow Book, though. Is it in there?

Feb 3, 2011
Our HS team is getting together to play in one tournament to honor a deceased teammate. It’s a sanctioned USA Softball tournament. One player was told by her TB Coach that she cannot participate in that tournament because she’s rostered on his team.
I don’t know what the rules are when it comes to using Guest players- is it never allowed ? or is it only with the permission of her coach? Or does it all depend....

The Yellow Book has a guideline stating that guest play requires "permission" from the manager of the primary team. It's not canon, however, at least not outside of SoCal. The only normal restrictions are that a player cannot be registered on 2 different teams in the same tournament and can only be rostered on 1 team once Championship play begins, until it is over.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Typically a team is registered under a governing body (USA, PFG, etc), with a roster. USA does allow pick up players and there are forms that must be signed by the local administrators. If she is rostered on a USA team already, then yes a pick up player form will be required. As stated above she cannot move down a classification.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livosbo