Thoughts on Guest Player Situation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 3, 2016
That's messed up.

And "under contract"? What on Earth is that? This family needs to pick a team and stick to it. As a parent, I wouldn't like this one bit, even if we win more because of it.
Yeah under contract in 12u is pretty much a load of bs. Either pay off your dues and move on, or stiff them and move on, or cut a deal with the coach and move on. Sounds like a case of some parents figuring out a way to maximize playing time for they daughter while minimizing their expenditures. They aren't the first to run that scam and they won't be the last. Shame on your coach for enabling it.

Jan 28, 2022
If the coach is dead-set on keeping things this way, there's probably nothing you can do to change his mind. You then have the option of either accepting it, or finding another team.

If Guest Player is taking significant time away from your DD, I will assume that GP is a more-skilled player (if she's not, that's a bigger can of worms). A way to approach this could be for your DD to get to work developing her skills to earn the starting spot. Being "just as good" isn't enough. Be better. Undeniably better. Be so good you can't be ignored.
Doesn’t really sound like a guest player but a #11 on your roster. Curious if she’s paying dues or is the rest of

Doesn’t really sound like a guest player but a #11 on your roster. Curious if she’s paying dues or is the rest of the team covering that?
She's not paying any.

Jan 28, 2022
I guess my question is what are you going to do with the advice?
I'm not sure what to do at this point. Just seeing if anyone has encountered a situation like this before. I've seen guest players and my daughter has guest played also..but never for a year, and always when a team was short.

Jan 28, 2022
Yeah under contract in 12u is pretty much a load of bs. Either pay off your dues and move on, or stiff them and move on, or cut a deal with the coach and move on. Sounds like a case of some parents figuring out a way to maximize playing time for they daughter while minimizing their expenditures. They aren't the first to run that scam and they won't be the last. Shame on your coach for enabling it.
Supposedly they can't afford to. The frustrating part is the promises to join the team after fall, after spring...she tried out for her team and signed the contract AFTER our tryouts(that she didn't come to)

May 17, 2012
Supposedly they can't afford to. The frustrating part is the promises to join the team after fall, after spring...she tried out for her team and signed the contract AFTER our tryouts(that she didn't come to)

Forget about the contracts and forget about future teams, none of that matters. I would find a new team if your daughters playing time/development was being impacted.

In the future ask the coach about team roster structure, guest players, open books (where is the money going). Any coach/org that can't answer those questions...just move on.

If you can't move on (no other teams) then you have no options.

Good luck.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm not sure what to do at this point. Just seeing if anyone has encountered a situation like this before. I've seen guest players and my daughter has guest played also..but never for a year, and always when a team was short.
Well you can talk to the coach about It but it seems like he is fine with it so…

Aug 3, 2019
Does this team happen to be from the state of NJ?

Nov 22, 2019

I know a girl on a 12-u team that basically plays for 2 teams. One is a town team her dad coaches, the other is a big-name organization Not sure if she’s considered a guest for the one team or if she pays dues, or if she practices with them. Her 1st priority is the town team, as she missed the game when we played them, but she’s there most of the games. She’s a really good player.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
In fall we had 11 regular girls and for spring we have 10, all highly committed players. My daughter has played travel years and I've never encountered a situation like this one, and it's a little frustrating. Any thoughts/advice?
10 players really isn't enough and 11 is stretching it so I can see why the coach is OK with a player who fits in well with the team turning up and playing regularly. Not saying it is 100% right and I wouldn't handle the way he apparently is - but I do understand.

So that said, it really feels like the issue is not that she turns up just for games, but rather when she does turn up it is directly taking away from your daughters playing time over much more than other players on the team.

If that is the case, then you need to have a conversation with the coach; not about this part-time player playing because with 10 that is probably something that is needed, but rather how you feel your daughter is the one who is always missing out on playing time when she is dedicated to the team and whether there is an opportunity to maybe spread that out a little bit. Whether that is time at another position or some other solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802