Thoughts on Guest Player Situation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2022
So my DD tried out for a new TB team last summer and made it. So, at the end of August we have our first tournament and a girl shows up we have never seen, in 1 1/2 months of practices, in a full uniform with her name on the back. We chalked it up to maybe she had been on vacation. In talking with parents over the next 2 weeks we find out that she had been on the team in Spring '21 but left a month in and joined another team, due to a conflict with another girl(who is no longer on the team). Anyway, after a couple of tournaments we asked the coach who says she is guest playing with us(and he prioritizes guests) in the fall every time her team is off (4 out of 8 tournaments)and at the end of fall season she will join. Annoying to find out mid season, but whatever. Fall ends, she doesn't leave her team, says she's under contract with them for a full year not a season. Apparently, now she will be doing the same thing for Spring season with the promise of joining in the fall. In fall we had 11 regular girls and for spring we have 10, all highly committed players. My daughter has played travel years and I've never encountered a situation like this one, and it's a little frustrating. Any thoughts/advice?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
What age group? Is she a valuable contributor to the team? Is she only showing up for games, or practices, too? Is she taking significant time away from other players, or is she mostly riding the bench?

Jan 28, 2022
What age group? Is she a valuable contributor to the team? Is she only showing up for games, or practices, too? Is she taking significant time away from other players, or is she mostly riding the bench?
12u, she's a good player and fits in well with the team. She only comes to tournaments, no practices. She does take significant time away from the team. She only sits 1 or 2 innings per tournament.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
If the coach is dead-set on keeping things this way, there's probably nothing you can do to change his mind. You then have the option of either accepting it, or finding another team.

If Guest Player is taking significant time away from your DD, I will assume that GP is a more-skilled player (if she's not, that's a bigger can of worms). A way to approach this could be for your DD to get to work developing her skills to earn the starting spot. Being "just as good" isn't enough. Be better. Undeniably better. Be so good you can't be ignored. Work both defensive skills and batting. Big bats ALWAYS play.

Oct 4, 2018
12u, she's a good player and fits in well with the team. She only comes to tournaments, no practices. She does take significant time away from the team. She only sits 1 or 2 innings per tournament.

That's messed up.

And "under contract"? What on Earth is that? This family needs to pick a team and stick to it. As a parent, I wouldn't like this one bit, even if we win more because of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45