Guess I'll start an off-topic thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
It was completely awesome...your wife is super cool too. Been wanting to meet up for a long time.
I gotta get my azz to Ohio...but I know you have that 3 week window of nice weather :)

Cant wait to have more time to BS
Awwww...c'mon! we have like 6 weeks! Unfortunately we're playing those weekends. I keep telling you to stuff the car with bats and a banner so you can join us one of those tourney weekends. I'd supply the tent and/or tents!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Diverticulitis.....

Anyone here ever dealt with it, or had a family member, relative, or friend go through it before?? Some terrible terrible stuff!

Just curious, my surgeon told me during our first consultation that around 75% of Americans have some form of Diverticula, he called it and Gout a rich man's disease because of our diet habits. He said they're obviously both in Africa, and other third world countries but as a surgeon he hardly ever hears about them there.

I had a CT scan technician at CMC Main in Charlotte tell me they average ~60 CT scans a day for diverticulitis, which blew my mind! This same tech told me he's wanting to be a EMT and has been doing ride alongs, he said when they get a call for a middle aged adult who's laying in their living room floor in the fetal position it's usually one of three things.....Kidney stones, Gallstones, or Diverticulitis, and that these trained, seasoned EMT's are really good at figuring out which one of the three it is!

Yeah, this is really off topic!

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Diverticulitis.....

Anyone here ever dealt with it, or had a family member, relative, or friend go through it before?? Some terrible terrible stuff!

Just curious, my surgeon told me during our first consultation that around 75% of Americans have some form of Diverticula, he called it and Gout a rich man's disease because of our diet habits. He said they're obviously both in Africa, and other third world countries but as a surgeon he hardly ever hears about them there.

I had a CT scan technician at CMC Main in Charlotte tell me they average ~60 CT scans a day for diverticulitis, which blew my mind! This same tech told me he's wanting to be a EMT and has been doing ride alongs, he said when they get a call for a middle aged adult who's laying in their living room floor in the fetal position it's usually one of three things.....Kidney stones, Gallstones, or Diverticulitis, and that these trained, seasoned EMT's are really good at figuring out which one of the three it is!

Yeah, this is really off topic!
I don't know what it's like having diverticulitis. But I do have some members of my extended family that deal with Chrons and Irritable Bowel. It sucks having both of them. I have Endometriosis and I can tell you it sucks. It's been a while since I've had a flare-up of my Endo and I'm glad its been a while since I've had one. But I do need to make an OBGYN appointment to have it checked out and see if I need to get cleaned out again.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Know folks with Diverticulitis and people with Gout. I dont know why your surgeon said he doesnt hear
much about them hear, because I hear a bunch of people all the time that have been diagnosed with them.
Heck, my Recon manager at work has Diverticulitis bad (he has been out of work this whole week) and his father
had it and had surgery. A few guys I have played ball with have Gout and are on meds for it.
Gout can be curbed by dietary measures if you catch it quick I believe.

Dec 11, 2010
Hope they get you fixed up AD. I don’t know anything about it but I do know if you don’t get help from the first doc, keep looking. Some seem to have some better ideas.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I dont know why your surgeon said he doesnt hear
much about them hear, because I hear a bunch of people all the time that have been diagnosed with them.
No Core, he was talking about minimal diverticulitis and gout in Africa and other third world countries! He said it’s full on huge here in America, he does 3 to 5 bowel resections a week just here in my town!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Hope they get you fixed up AD. I don’t know anything about it but I do know if you don’t get help from the first doc, keep looking. Some seem to have some better ideas.
Thanks Ww, it’s handled, surgery was a year ago July 27th. Never been sick a day in my life, this hit very quick!

Bowel resection surgery was 7/27/21, one awful awful day and several rough weeks to follow!

My surgeon was incredible, he told me there’s about a 5% chance I’ll ever get diverticulitis again, I’ll take those odds!

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Glad to hear ya got it handled successfully AD. Diverticulitus, IBS, Crohn's can all be really bad and uniquely represented in different folks. My BIL had it bad and suffered from various complications before eventually passing away a few years ago in his mid/late 60's.

Gout is no joke either...Black Cherry juice seems to be the med of choice, along with overall dietary changes. Seriously debilitating when it attacks!

May 21, 2015
South
I have had multiple bouts of Diverticulitus. It's really important to listen to your body and catch it early. The first time I was down for a week with high fever and really felt terrible. After that, I could kind of tell when it was coming on and got on antibiotics quick. In the last few years, I have really increased my fiber intake and that seems to reduce the frequency of flare ups (have not had one in almost 2 years).

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Glad to hear ya got it handled successfully AD. Diverticulitus, IBS, Crohn's can all be really bad and uniquely represented in different folks. My BIL had it bad and suffered from various complications before eventually passing away a few years ago in his mid/late 60's.

Gout is no joke either...Black Cherry juice seems to be the med of choice, along with overall dietary changes. Seriously debilitating when it attacks!
I don’t have Gout, I was just referring to what my surgeon said about Gout being a rich person’s disease along with diverticulitis.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06