Guess I'll start an off-topic thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I have had multiple bouts of Diverticulitus. It's really important to listen to your body and catch it early. The first time I was down for a week with high fever and really felt terrible. After that, I could kind of tell when it was coming on and got on antibiotics quick. In the last few years, I have really increased my fiber intake and that seems to reduce the frequency of flare ups (have not had one in almost 2 years).
Okay @krazykat, I’ll try my best to keep this short…

Since we speak the same language here through experience you’ll get everything I’m saying.

I’m 57 now, I never get stomach aches, ever! I get headaches just like everyone else but I haven’t had a stomach ache in over forty years. And I’ve only had two bouts of diverticulitis, my first one was in 2016 and resulted in a full weekend hospital stay, came out of nowhere and was very eye opening!

My 2nd bout, May 18th, 2021, one overnight hospital stay. So five years apart, this time resulting in getting my primary involved and he’s who got my consultation set up with a surgeon.

So all this brought out the stubborn, bonehead in me, which resulted in some pretty good fights with my wife….no way in Hell am I even gonna meet with this surgeon much less consider having surgery, not happening! Two to three weeks go by and I’m getting sicker by the day!

So after much more fighting, and more pain I set up the meeting with the surgeon. Very down to earth, matter of fact guy, I was impressed!

Here’s my issue, most people have diverticulitis in their lower left Sigmoid Colon, and they can live with it for years, or for the rest of their lives. It can be managed through antibiotics and pain meds, and it’ll involve hospital stays and a lifetime of pain, but millions of people deal with it, and it sucks!

My issue is….my diverticulitis was dead center and about ~2” below my bellybutton, and in that exact location it involved my bladder. Think about a good apple touching a bad, rotten apple, you know what happens!

That inflamed, infected section of colon was sticking to my bladder sharing all of it’s lovely goodness. Put it this way, when your colon and your bladder start swapping fluids, you’re in serious trouble!!

This surgeon knew exactly what was happening, I’ll never forget this question, he said “how do you feel today, how do you feel right this minute?” I said actually the best I’ve felt in two or three weeks! He said good, you need surgery today, as in right now! WHAT??

He said this isn’t going away, surgery is your only option and you need it now! I need to do the surgery while you’re good and healthy, not all inflamed and infected. We need to set it up soon, real soon!

I had bowel resection surgery in just over two months from that second ever attack and it was rough rough rough! That’s the Cliff note version, let me know if you have any questions.

Oh yeah, he removed 8” of my large intestines, 2” of my small, he had to repair my bladder, and he removed my appendix….that’s another story for another day!

May 27, 2013
Oh geez - just saw this!! So sorry you had to go through that! Many, many people have diverticulosis but when one of those little diverticuli becomes inflamed (diverticulitis) it can be a bad day.

Sounds like you may have developed a fistula between your intestine and bladder? Have seen that a few times in my line of work. Glad you had it taken care of quickly!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Sounds like you may have developed a fistula between your intestine and bladder?
Exactly! My surgeon came in to see me around 7:00am the morning after surgery, him and his PA said (and he was guessing) that I was around 4 or 5 weeks away from a colostomy bag? And that I was sicker than he originally thought, they both said they had no idea how I was working everyday?

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Okay @krazykat, I’ll try my best to keep this short…

Since we speak the same language here through experience you’ll get everything I’m saying.

I’m 57 now, I never get stomach aches, ever! I get headaches just like everyone else but I haven’t had a stomach ache in over forty years. And I’ve only had two bouts of diverticulitis, my first one was in 2016 and resulted in a full weekend hospital stay, came out of nowhere and was very eye opening!

My 2nd bout, May 18th, 2021, one overnight hospital stay. So five years apart, this time resulting in getting my primary involved and he’s who got my consultation set up with a surgeon.

So all this brought out the stubborn, bonehead in me, which resulted in some pretty good fights with my wife….no way in Hell am I even gonna meet with this surgeon much less consider having surgery, not happening! Two to three weeks go by and I’m getting sicker by the day!

So after much more fighting, and more pain I set up the meeting with the surgeon. Very down to earth, matter of fact guy, I was impressed!

Here’s my issue, most people have diverticulitis in their lower left Sigmoid Colon, and they can live with it for years, or for the rest of their lives. It can be managed through antibiotics and pain meds, and it’ll involve hospital stays and a lifetime of pain, but millions of people deal with it, and it sucks!

My issue is….my diverticulitis was dead center and about ~2” below my bellybutton, and in that exact location it involved my bladder. Think about a good apple touching a bad, rotten apple, you know what happens!

That inflamed, infected section of colon was sticking to my bladder sharing all of it’s lovely goodness. Put it this way, when your colon and your bladder start swapping fluids, you’re in serious trouble!!

This surgeon knew exactly what was happening, I’ll never forget this question, he said “how do you feel today, how do you feel right this minute?” I said actually the best I’ve felt in two or three weeks! He said good, you need surgery today, as in right now! WHAT??

He said this isn’t going away, surgery is your only option and you need it now! I need to do the surgery while you’re good and healthy, not all inflamed and infected. We need to set it up soon, real soon!

I had bowel resection surgery in just over two months from that second ever attack and it was rough rough rough! That’s the Cliff note version, let me know if you have any questions.

Oh yeah, he removed 8” of my large intestines, 2” of my small, he had to repair my bladder, and he removed my appendix….that’s another story for another day!
Oh, man, that sucks so hard you had to go through all that. I know a teammate has Crohn's and she's a mess when she gets a flare-up. It's a good thing the surgeon caught it and your on the road to recovery.
Exactly! My surgeon came in to see me around 7:00am the morning after surgery, him and his PA said (and he was guessing) that I was around 4 or 5 weeks away from a colostomy bag? And that I was sicker than he originally thought, they both said they had no idea how I was working everyday?
That's shocking you were that close to needing a colostomy bag. My great-granddad needed one. He said it sucked having one. I remember he had that and a catheter that he wore. He became grouchy and not fun to be around the last 12 months or so that he was alive. I'm praying for you and your recovery.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
My fellow music fans, what's been the best concert you've been to? It may be because this was so recent for me, but, my fiance and I went at the end of August to see Rammstein play at Lincoln Financial Field. Had a blast at the show and we both got to meet Till Lindemann and the rest of the group at a local restaurant where we went after the show.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
My fellow music fans, what's been the best concert you've been to? It may be because this was so recent for me, but, my fiance and I went at the end of August to see Rammstein play at Lincoln Financial Field. Had a blast at the show and we both got to meet Till Lindemann and the rest of the group at a local restaurant where we went after the show.
Iron Maiden at The Ritz with Dream Theater as the opening act. Hot as hell inside, but to see my two favorite bands play on one night was amazing, despite losing 15 lbs and 2" of height.

May 27, 2013

Toss up between the original Stone Temple Pilots at the Stone Pony or Rush in Atlantic City.

Dec 15, 2018
CT

Garth Brooks in Central Park, Dave Matthews at Wait Chapel (wake forest), and U2 at MSG. Honorable mention to The Who at MSG who were already so old 25 years ago when I saw it - the show was so professional though, they killed.

Jun 27, 2021
Per. Eric F's earlier request several weeks back..............................

#1. What ya listening to right now, favorite music? Favorite, bands, musicians?

#2. What's your favorite movie? A movie that'll stop you in your tracks when you're channel surfing?

#3. Not a big drinker but.............favorite go to beer?

#4. Favorite sports team? Any sport.

#5. Other hobbies, interests besides fastpitch? Gloves, knives, firearms? ;) Guess I just answered that one!

Feel free to ask any other questions, that was just 5 quick ones. And please Lord, let this one veer off the rails!

1. Luke Combs ( a little late but that ole boy is solid) or Dave Matthews with Tupac or Biggie mixed in
2. Wolf of Wall Street/Shawshank Redemption
3. Blue Moon
4. University of Tennessee
5. working out

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Best…..pick one of any of the 10 times I’ve seen Rush, perfection!

Favorite…..Plant / Page reunion tour, Charlotte, NC 1998.

Funnest…..Blues Traveler at the Charlotte Hornets training center, so basically a gymnasium, it was a wild free for all!

Gotta give a strong nod to Billy Joel, probably seen him 4 or 5 times, his shows are a greatest hits concert, he is an absolute entertainer!

Dave Matthews Band in an outdoor setting, always superb, no idea how many times I’ve seen them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes