Guess I'll start an off-topic thread?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Was just talking to an old softball dad / buddy of mine last night, he said both of his DD's took a deer each this past weekend. He said both of his girls use a .270 bolt action rifle. He loves that round!
Cool! I know my dad loves his .270. I never got really enthusiastic about using a .270. I do like using it for target shooting sometimes...but never hunted with one. I'm thinking about switching to the .243 after lunch. I would love to down a doe before heading back to school, tomorrow.

May 20, 2015
I shoot a .270wsm (Tikka T3)......to me it's the best all around north american round.......i'd go heavier on grizzly, if i was a consistent elk shooter i might go heavier......but it's a great round.....i know i can hold dead on from 0-250 yards, and with the barnes TSX coming out at well over 3000fps, it's a slammer

two does this year, kind of a slow year (still have muzzleloader through the 11th)......but i shot a doe at 267 yards in a field, and one at 60 yards from one of my stands......neither took a step

and i got to break in the new benchmade ;)

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Cool! I know my dad loves his .270. I never got really enthusiastic about using a .270. I do like using it for target shooting sometimes...but never hunted with one. I'm thinking about switching to the .243 after lunch. I would love to down a doe before heading back to school, tomorrow.
You should just go old school and get yourself a Marlin 30-30 or 45-70 Lever action rifle with iron sights! ;)

Wish there was a statistic (and there probably is) on the number of deer (and human beings) that have been shot and killed with either of those cartridges in a Lever rifle throughout American history. A whole bunch I promise you!

May 20, 2015
How’d it do?

exactly as it was intended.....razor sharp, just the right size.....i'll keep one of the cheaper, bigger fixed blades i have for splitting the sternum, as it might be a little short to get good leverage on a larger deer (but the blade is plenty stout)......fit good in my hand, stayed grippy even after the gloves got wet (i wear surgical gloves these days with all the bloodborne stuff floating around).....well balanced.....needs to be fed more haha

the GF and all 3 DDs took me to Boston Saturday (last day of rifle) afternoon.....quick trip to the Simmons campus, then a sunset cruise, for my 50th.........of course there was a big doe on cam on my #1 stand, where I would have been (I like to finish the season where I started) at 4:10pm........but there's still time ;)

Feb 14, 2019
Here in OK, my 25-06 does everything I need it to with less recoil than a 270 (mostly varmint or whitetail hunting). If I were after something larger, say elk, I'd prefer 270. Only downside is if you don't handload there aren't a lot of ammo options available in 25-06.

May 20, 2015
Here in OK, my 25-06 does everything I need it to with less recoil than a 270 (mostly varmint or whitetail hunting). If I were after something larger, say elk, I'd prefer 270. Only downside is if you don't handload there aren't a lot of ammo options available in 25-06.

i'm mostly whitetail, but could draw moose.......i might have a 10 yard shot, i might have a 300 yard shot lol.......so the .270wsm serves me well

May 20, 2015
i'm mostly whitetail, but could draw moose.......i might have a 10 yard shot, i might have a 300 yard shot lol.......so the .270wsm serves me well
and maine whitetail can be a different breed than most........lots of 200+ lb deer shot every year

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
exactly as it was intended.....razor sharp, just the right size.....i'll keep one of the cheaper, bigger fixed blades i have for splitting the sternum, as it might be a little short to get good leverage on a larger deer (but the blade is plenty stout)......fit good in my hand, stayed grippy even after the gloves got wet (i wear surgical gloves these days with all the bloodborne stuff floating around).....well balanced.....needs to be fed more haha

the GF and all 3 DDs took me to Boston Saturday (last day of rifle) afternoon.....quick trip to the Simmons campus, then a sunset cruise, for my 50th.........of course there was a big doe on cam on my #1 stand, where I would have been (I like to finish the season where I started) at 4:10pm........but there's still time ;)
Do yourself a favor, get yourself a Spyderco folder in K390 as your EDC pocketknife, this steel is phenomenal! This is coming from someone who has S90V, and even better S110V. This new K390 is *probably* my newest favorite steel!

Dec 11, 2010
Do yourself a favor, get yourself a Spyderco folder in K390 as your EDC pocketknife, this steel is phenomenal! This is coming from someone who has S90V, and even better S110V. This new K390 is *probably* my newest favorite steel!
What makes it good?

My dad always talked about super hard knives holding an edge vs skinning knives being softer but easier to sharpen but I’ve never got that far into it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom