Goal Setting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I hate goose eggs on our side of the score board…so in a effort to correct this thread's goose egg (which has been annoying)…I will throw out a simple goal setting strategy that is useful across many context's of life. I invite others to give their goal setting strategy…so every kid knows how set them and use them.

Goal setting

If you take a trip and don't know where your going….don't be surprised at where you end up! Set your goals so you know where your headed.

1. Must have the Desire (the WANT TO)
a. Set your goals…write them down
b. State them in the positive…state what you want rather than what you don't want.
b. Set small attainable goals (short term goals) and goals out of reach (longer term goals).

2. Gather knowledge (LEARN)
a. Learn what you need to KNOW.
b. Learn HOW to do it. Spend more time/effort on the how….than the why.
c. Learn to learn if you need to.
d. Simplify…KISS.

3. Take action steps (EFFORT)
a. Put your knowledge to work for you…put it into action.
b. Everything takes effort. Those that put in the effort have the greatest chance to succeed.
c. Thought without action gets you no where.

4. Deal EFFECTIVELY with the interferences of life…(on a daily basis)… that will keep you from putting effort towards reaching your goal.
a. The first and most common interference….is between your own ears. It all begins between the ears.
b. Nobody can control what goes on between your ears…but you.

5. Periodically Re-evaluate
a. Know where your at.
b. Be flexible and change what you need to change. ADAPT
c. When doing comparisons….Compare yourself with where YOU were weeks/months ago..rather than yesterday/last week... or rather than comparing yourself to someone else constantly.

I like this. What age do you work with? I work primarily with 14U (middle school team) but I also help with a 16U group once school ball is over.
I am really interested in 4. Dealing with the Interference. What practical ways do you think I could use with the MS group.

Nov 2, 2012
I am in the process of getting ready for my season. Thank you for this info. I am going to focus this year on goal setting and accountablity. This will help. Thanks

Aug 29, 2013
set SMART goals.

Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Realistic
Time Constrained

These kinds of goals will help to get optimal motivation out of your players.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414