Go dodgers !!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
Yes it was!

What do you think about the argument right now that both coaches outcoached themselves and Mattingly just got lucky? This is about the decisive 8th inning at-bat for Uribe. Nobody out, fast runner on 2nd, down 1, and Mattingly chooses to have Uribe try to bunt Puig over to 3rd to set up a sacrifice situation. Meanwhile, Gonzalez has arguably the best closer in the game at the moment warming up, facing playoff elimination, up 1, tying run at 2nd and winning run at the plate. His closer had told him he wanted the ball if they got to the 7th and were in a close game. Instead he left the other pitcher in who had just given up a solid hit and appeared rattled. Gonzalez later said he didn't want to have his closer have to get 6 outs, possibly looking ahead to Game 5. Well, we know how it turned out, Uribe failed on his bunt attempts, and then drove one into the Dodgers' bullpen.

Hindsight is 20/20.....If Kershaw gave up a couple of runs and Dodgers lose, Mattingly is an idiot and not fit to manage. Kershaw pitched well last night, gave up no ER and Mattingly is a now a genius and gets to keep his job another year. Too many pundits and sports talk show hosts looking for stories to write/talk about.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Hindsight is 20/20.....If Kershaw gave up a couple of runs and Dodgers lose, Mattingly is an idiot and not fit to manage. Kershaw pitched well last night, gave up no ER and Mattingly is a now a genius and gets to keep his job another year. Too many pundits and sports talk show hosts looking for stories to write/talk about.

Big difference between losing with the best pitcher in baseball on the hill v losing with the best closer in baseball warmed up but not used. And even if Kershaw lost, the Dodgers had Greinke set for G5. If the Braves lost (which they did) you really don't need to save Kimbrel. I guess that extra day will have him fresh for opening day.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I am crying because I hate hate hate the dodgers. Go As.

As a life-long Dodgers fan, I understand your feeling of hatred. I hate the Giants just as much as you hate the Dodgers. This season, however, even I couldn't gloat over the failure of the Giants. My hatred was replaced by pity.

Feb 7, 2013
Big difference between losing with the best pitcher in baseball on the hill v losing with the best closer in baseball warmed up but not used. And even if Kershaw lost, the Dodgers had Greinke set for G5. If the Braves lost (which they did) you really don't need to save Kimbrel. I guess that extra day will have him fresh for opening day.

I think you are missing my point. Managers make 100s of decisions each series and it's too easy and convenient to criticize after the fact. My understanding is that Kimbrel had never pitched 2 back to back innings before and they might have been worried about his effectiveness in the 9th. Isn't that why you have middle relievers to do their job anyways, to set it up for the closer to come in in the 9th? Not saying it was right or wrong but it's too easy to blame the manager why the Braves lost when the offense only hit 1 homer all series long (Dodgers hit 7).

In SoCal, the media was hammering Mattingly the first half of the season, then the team got hot, went on an unprecedented winning streak and Mattingly is god, and then they lose a game to the Braves in the playoffs and he is criticized for managing the game wrong, now he pitches Kershaw last night with only 3 days rest and if they lose and go on to lose the series, rumor is he will be out of a job next season. But instead, they win and get out of the first round of the playoffs and he is a better manager than we thought, and it goes on and on and on.....

My theory is that the media and locals don't like Mattingly because they believe that he is an outsider and was and will always be a Yankee to many. Let's see what happens the rest of the post season. If the Dodgers get to the World Series this year, everyone will be jumping on the Mattingly band wagon, ...again.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
As a life-long Dodgers fan, I understand your feeling of hatred. I hate the Giants just as much as you hate the Dodgers. This season, however, even I couldn't gloat over the failure of the Giants. My hatred was replaced by pity.

Yeah...it was a pitiful season. I think you know the feeling. I will try to be more gracious now that the dodgers have a chance at some hardware.....whew...that was my best effort at being magnanimous in defeat.....didn't work... not feeling it. Still hate 'em...go ABD!!!

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I think you are missing my point. Managers make 100s of decisions each series and it's too easy and convenient to criticize after the fact. My understanding is that Kimbrel had never pitched 2 back to back innings before and they might have been worried about his effectiveness in the 9th. Isn't that why you have middle relievers to do their job anyways, to set it up for the closer to come in in the 9th? Not saying it was right or wrong but it's too easy to blame the manager why the Braves lost when the offense only hit 1 homer all series long (Dodgers hit 7).
he's gone 2 before but not since 2011. Still I contend if you are going to lose, lose with your best. That isn't hindsight, I said the same thing when he didn't start the 8th and when they didn't bring him in after the Puig 2B.

But I get your point that manager decisions are often over scrutinized.

In SoCal, the media was hammering Mattingly the first half of the season, then the team got hot, went on an unprecedented winning streak and Mattingly is god, and then they lose a game to the Braves in the playoffs and he is criticized for managing the game wrong, now he pitches Kershaw last night with only 3 days rest and if they lose and go on to lose the series, rumor is he will be out of a job next season. But instead, they win and get out of the first round of the playoffs and he is a better manager than we thought, and it goes on and on and on.....
Funny how he was about a week from being fired isn't it?

My theory is that the media and locals don't like Mattingly because they believe that he is an outsider and was and will always be a Yankee to many. Let's see what happens the rest of the post season. If the Dodgers get to the World Series this year, everyone will be jumping on the Mattingly band wagon, ...again.

I think it had more to do with the Dodgers win's per payroll dollar. As a life long Yankee fan though, I wouldn't mind seeing him finally get a ring even if it isn't in Pinstripes. He's easily the best Yankee to never win a world series.