Glove sizes - nameplate vs reality (try it on)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
having recently bought a glove for my DD - the dealer showed us 2 12’ Liberty advanced gloves, that were clearly different in size (that is, the leather on one / both was stretched or shrunk from the template, b/c it’s leather). His point was, don’t look at the label, try it on, have a catch with it, see what it feels like. Given how small a quarter inch is really - are folks being overly swayed by the size label vs what the actual glove feels like on the hand / how it plays? How important is it to try a glove on vs just purchasing online and hoping?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Okay, just like bats….two bats can be listed identically and feel completely different.

And remember, the 1/4” difference in gloves isn’t just in the length, that 1/4” is spread across the entire glove, length, width, and depth. So yeah, a 1/4” in a glove can make a really big difference!

I’m in the buying online and hoping camp, can’t remember the last time I bought a glove locally….guess it would have been years ago at the Rawlings outlet?

Aug 18, 2018
Seen this in two different gloves. Had an a2000 marked as 12 inches be more like 11.5 and a Rawlings 12.75 be more like 12.5

On the flip, side did a custom Wilson for DD that was spot on 12.25 inches.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
where do you actually take the measurements? i have a HOH that plays smaller than listed.
From the top of the middle finger straight down through the palm to the bottom of the heel binding, very scientific. :rolleyes: To me a cloth measuring tape (for sewing) works best.

As far as your HOH, in my experience they all measure "around" a 1/4" shorter than their listed size, except for the Neifi Perez (NP) patterns, they're usually right on the money if not slightly larger than their listed size. Again, my experience.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Seen this in two different gloves. Had an a2000 marked as 12 inches be more like 11.5 and a Rawlings 12.75 be more like 12.5

On the flip, side did a custom Wilson for DD that was spot on 12.25 inches.

Sent from my LE2115 using Tapatalk
Can't really speak for Wilson's, I've still got my old XLO but I've only bought one A2000 since 1984.

You know patterns are measured as flat leather stamps straight out of the die, so it's measured before it's put together, or so that's what I've been told?

Couple of older, really popular gloves that got a ton of love here, or used to.....
Vinci 12.75" RV1961, everyone I've ever seen or held measured 12.5".
Vinci 12.5' BV1929, measures and plays at 12.25".

Rawlings Pro200 family, they all play close to a ~1/4" smaller than their listed size, give or take....

I'm no help with softball specific patterns (Liberty Advanced, etc), never owned one?

NP pattern, I've owned / own a NP5, three NP6's, a NP7, and a NP12, all but that old school pinky patch NP12 are larger than their listed size, or at least on the number.

My 12" Pro12TC and all the RV23's I've owned are larger than listed, but those are two strange animals with no rhyme or reason?

Sorry I'm no help with your A2000's.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Can't really speak for Wilson's, I've still got my old XLO but I've only bought one A2000 since 1984.

You know patterns are measured as flat leather stamps straight out of the die, so it's measured before it's put together, or so that's what I've been told?

Couple of older, really popular gloves that got a ton of love here, or used to.....
Vinci 12.75" RV1961, everyone I've ever seen or held measured 12.5".
Vinci 12.5' BV1929, measures and plays at 12.25".

Rawlings Pro200 family, they all play close to a ~1/4" smaller than their listed size, give or take....

I'm no help with softball specific patterns (Liberty Advanced, etc), never owned one?

NP pattern, I've owned / own a NP5, three NP6's, a NP7, and a NP12, all but that old school pinky patch NP12 are larger than their listed size, or at least on the number.

My 12" Pro12TC and all the RV23's I've owned are larger than listed, but those are two strange animals with no rhyme or reason?

Sorry I'm no help with your A2000's.
Feels like there oughta be glove database (like the bat one) for good info like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00