Glove relacing or tightening

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Get your lace and a needle from here.

For the web, spiral, and fingertips, buy yourself 1/4” lace.

May 23, 2015
Forgot to mention last night. If you decide to lace it yourself add a little slack in your lacing as you go along. Don't crank it down. Then have your daughter play a little quick catch. That will form the glove. Then tighten it up. Do not make it too tight because the glove will go wonky on you. They will stretch a little over time. Just don't be heavy handed tightening, which is very common

I like to give the laces a good bath in lexol before I get to work. They'll be a lot more supple

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Central Valley of CA. how long should she expect to be without the glove?
The closest to you of those two guys is Rous in the Dallas FW area. So figure the shipping times to him and back, I doubt he'd have it more than three days? He's a university professor so no idea how busy he is right now with that and with gloves he may already have?

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
It can be done DIY as other has said but make sure you take notes and/or pictures of how it was before you started. I also recommend starting the new lace as you take the old one out. That will normally work.

One thing to remember is catchers and first base mitts are pretty tricky.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I also recommend starting the new lace as you take the old one out. That will normally work.
Depends on which way the web spiral is angled, on Rawlings and Vinci's the spiral is angled, or pointed towards the pinky side so you start there. So on Shaun's 1929 he would start at the pinky and work his way across to the thumb doing the spiral and fingertips.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
Depends on which way the web spiral is angled, on Rawlings and Vinci's the spiral is angled, or pointed towards the pinky side so you start there. So on Shaun's 1929 he would start at the pinky and work his way across to the thumb doing the spiral and fingertips.
Absolutely. I have found out the hard way that some parts of a glove are a lot more complex than others.

Jan 29, 2016
Thank you all for your responses. I think I am going to call around to a couple of places and see what the price is and turnaround time. I have watched a couple of videos and it doesn't seem too complicated but I am sure it will take me quite awhile to get it done. If I can free up some time I think I would prefer to do it myself just to learn and make any future emergency repairs easier because I would have the tools and knowledge of how the laces are routed. Thanks again you all for the help

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Honestly, it's not hard. The hardest part is tugging on laces following the ins n outs to find the end. Once at the end, start there and follow the path with the needle step by step. Be careful about twisting and keeping the shiny side facing out. I always have a needle and black leather in the car. Have helped more than a couple of players out of pinches.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan