Glove recommendations for 1B/3B/OF

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 9, 2024
My 13 year old has just about worn out her Mizuno Pro Select 12” glove and we’re looking for a replacement. She’s starting 14U and trying out for several travel teams. She’ll stick with her current glove for tryouts but work in a new one in the next few weeks. She loves playing 1B, but seems like it’s a coveted spot on the teams she’s looking at. She plays some 3B but may spend a good amount of time in the outfield. She hates all the first base mitts that she’s tried and wants to use a regular fielding glove regardless of where she’s playing. Is there a good glove/brand/size recommendation that would cover these? I’m not opposed to having a couple gloves, but she’s very resistant to swapping gear. I was thinking a 12.25” or 12.5” HOH (I’m biased but that’s always been my go to glove), but reading all these posts makes me question the size. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
I’d focus on just two gloves, a dedicated 3B glove and the same fielders glove for both 1B & OF.

Not saying a larger than preferred 3B glove wouldn’t work for all three positions, but I wouldn’t do it.

Two separate gloves is the better play here.

Welcome to the forum!

Jun 9, 2024
I’d focus on just two gloves, a dedicated 3B glove and the same fielders glove for both 1B & OF.

Not saying a larger than preferred 3B glove wouldn’t work for all three positions, but I wouldn’t do it.

Two separate gloves is the better play here.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks! What size gloves do you recommend? Assuming 12” at 3B?

Sep 19, 2018
While we all love to get our children gear (I am a gear hound myself), 2 gloves is not necessary for a a13 year old. She will be just fine playing the outfield with a 12in, deep pocket glove. If and when she drops a ball, it won't be because of the missing 1/2 inch.

Don Morton HOH Pro 1000. I played for years with a HoH Pro 1005 (fastback with basket web version). It can handle anything she needs. If she continues to play first, consider a first base glove.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
My daughters turned 13 couple months back...running 12.5 HOH for outfield. We took our time breaking it in, like a lot of time. She plays 2 in the pinky and we use Nokona conditioner as needed. Ball sticks like a magnet, and she loves it.

Nov 18, 2015
My 13 year old has just about worn out her Mizuno Pro Select 12” glove

Forgive my bluntness, but are you sure?

That’s sort of like saying “my Rawlings HOH / Wilson A2K wore out”.

If it’s really a Pro Select model, I’d just clean, condition, and relace, and save the $200 you’d spend to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
While we all love to get our children gear (I am a gear hound myself), 2 gloves is not necessary for a a13 year old. She will be just fine playing the outfield with a 12in, deep pocket glove. If and when she drops a ball, it won't be because of the missing 1/2 inch.

Don Morton HOH Pro 1000. I played for years with a HoH Pro 1005 (fastback with basket web version). It can handle anything she needs. If she continues to play first, consider a first base glove.
I’d say yeah it’s doable if you “had” to use a 12” Pro1000 in the outfield…..catching baseballs!

Remember, the 1/2” difference in a 12.5” glove, or the 3/4” difference in a 12.75” glove isn’t just about the length, that extra size is spread out over the length, width, and pocket depth.

A nice broken in 12” Pro1000 takes on a true salad bowl shape and measures out at 11.75”, it’s not an outfield glove!

Sep 19, 2018
I’d say yeah it’s doable if you “had” to use a 12” Pro1000 in the outfield…..catching baseballs!

Remember, the 1/2” difference in a 12.5” glove, or the 3/4” difference in a 12.75” glove isn’t just about the length, that extra size is spread out over the length, width, and pocket depth.

A nice broken in 12” Pro1000 takes on a true salad bowl shape and measures out at 11.75”, it’s not an outfield glove!
I am not suggesting that a single glove is going to be perfect for all occasions. If you have the money and the child that is going to properly care of all of this equipment, great. Go for it. My dd has her regular mitt and 1b mitt (which she refuses to use and still uses her Wilson H12 when playing 1b).

but, if she is going to be under a a fly ball and drop it, 999 out of 1000 drops will have nothing to do with the the glove size.

Separately, splitting time between 3 positions, the number of times that she is going to be in the outfield and in a running sprint / diving situation where having that extra 1/2 inch is going to be the difference between making the catch or not is really small.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
the number of times that she is going to be in the outfield and in a running sprint / diving situation where having that extra 1/2 inch is going to be the difference between making the catch or not is really small.
You think? 14U is when the hard line drive shots ramp up to another level!

Anna probably played less than 5 or 6 innings total in the outfield in her entire playing time, but if she was an outfielder I would have got her a 12.75" Six-finger Trap glove and made her wear it TIP. Why not get an outfield playing girl the best glove possible that gives her all the benefits of making every play, routine and difficult?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tiffanym