Glove maintenance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 8, 2020
Do you use anything mechanical to scrub the leather with the cleaner? OMG, the amount of elbow grease with the little brush is crazy! The pics you attached are amazing... I have some wilsons sitting around that I need to get that pocket adhesive stain out.. That must be brutal.

How wet is the leather getting when you're cleaning the individual sections? Thanks in advance! - E
Nothing mechanical

Warm water.
Start with a damp tack sponge, get in in the cleaner then rub it over the glove, get a light lather.
Then I'll usually go with the horse hair brush, it will lift most of the dirt and muck off of the leather and logos, wipe away the lather with a warm wet tack sponge. If there is still grime or something then I go to the hog hair brush.
Sometimes the hog hair is too harsh for the embroidered logos but if they're grimy try to brush with the threads and not against them so the logo doesn't get the fuzzies.
Then allow the leather to dry for an hour or more before conditioning and lacing.

The tack sponges you can also get at Tractor Supply Co, Tandy Leather Supply or feed stores and horse tack stores.

I usually have a larger hog hair brush that I keep dry that I will use on the glove before cleaning it, it knock off a lot of the build uo

Also have a larger horse hair brush that I use after conditioning, especially conditioning already assembled gloves, to get off any conditioner build up or crud under the laces. 20210303_150308.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
Do you use anything mechanical to scrub the leather with the cleaner? OMG, the amount of elbow grease with the little brush is crazy!

Tons of horsehair brushes of various sizes and shapes on Amazon. I bought a kit that had three for about $7. Worked well.

Oct 4, 2018
So my wife is an equestrian trainer and I live on a farm with a barn and horses.

A) Not only does she have and use almost all of these products, she has even better ones. Saddles are obviously made of leather and run about $5,000. So they use only the best products to clean them.
B) She'll divorce me if I mess up her stuff cleaning ballgloves. :p

So last night I was cleaning a glove with paper towels, horsehair brushes from Amazon, and old towel, and conditioning with Surf City VooDoo. Good enough for me.

Nov 8, 2020
So my wife is an equestrian trainer and I live on a farm with a barn and horses.

A) Not only does she have and use almost all of these products, she has even better ones. Saddles are obviously made of leather and run about $5,000. So they use only the best products to clean them.
B) She'll divorce me if I mess up her stuff cleaning ballgloves.

So last night I was cleaning a glove with paper towels, horsehair brushes from Amazon, and old towel, and conditioning with Surf City VooDoo. Good enough for me.
Stay off the sofa. But I'm sure you can get the same stuff your wife uses. That's where I learned most the stuff I know, from talking to equestrian people at the tack shops and leather supply places. The mink oil I learned about from guys who use it on welders masks because it's the best thing to prevent sweat from the welders foreheads from soaking in to the leather.
I have a bunch of other creams and dyes and lotions and stuff I've had for leather that I've picked up from the tack shops, but for standard glove care, the cleaners and conditioners memtioned here should do.

Nov 8, 2020
There's a place out of Nebraska called Justman Brush, you can get horse hair and hog hair brushes for about 3 dollars apiece. They have a website, justmanbrush.com or you can duckduckgo it.

View attachment 21865View attachment 21866View attachment 21867
b510324c57c843cc6931d3c8fb07d01d.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2019
There's a place out of Nebraska called Justman Brush, you can get horse hair and hog hair brushes for about 3 dollars apiece. They have a website, justmanbrush.com or you can duckduckgo it.

View attachment 21865View attachment 21866View attachment 21867
b510324c57c843cc6931d3c8fb07d01d.jpg
Thx for the suggestions, i found a grooming boar brush at ross for $3.99. I will use that for now. What is your opinion using those nylon brushes? Will the nylon bristle brush be too harsh on the leather glove?

Nov 8, 2020
I started off with nylon brushes about 15 years ago, they removed the grime from the leather but also some of the gloves finish and they trashed the embroidery. They may have different, softer brushes available now but for the 2-3 bucks I get the natural fiber brushes and as well as they work, I've stuck with them.

ffcc952ec59cf371024ae78cd0acfc89.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
Ball Player Cleaner is awesome. DD has a black Marucci and it looks band new each time we clean it. She pitches and plays infield year round.

A former college catcher let my son use his #3 mitt. Caught BP with it in bad weather. It has been in a barn for two years and not sure how old. He told him he could have the older two. He chose the older and dirtiest. I would have also. Looked about a year old after cleaning. He caught MS and rec ball and some TB with it and it looks good again. It has rained everyday for the last month and just caked with mud. Good stuff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying