Getting dropped might be the best thing that could have happened for my daughter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 12, 2014
My daughter was dropped by her team over the summer, and I think it's the best thing that could have happened for her. To give some background, she started playing 8U two years ago in the fall. She was supposed to move up in the spring, but I was able to get the league to let her play down. She really wasn't ready for 10U, plus she had great coaches I wanted her to stay with. She moved up to 10U last fall on a new team. The team was pretty good and made a great run in the playoffs and finished second (the champion was a TB team that had no business being in a rec league).

My daughter wanted to pitch, so I got her some lessons prior to the season and through the first few weeks. The team had one pitcher who was pretty good and a couple of others who also had some experience. The coaches let my daughter my daughter pitcher one inning late in the season, and it was a disaster, to be blunt. She only threw a handful of strikes and went to coach pitch on every hitter, and they hit the 6 run max. Her hitting and fielding improved quite a bit over the season (I started a hitting thread about her lack of power, but she makes good contact).

She stayed on the same team this spring. The good pitcher became a full-blown stud, and two other pitchers improved a bit as well. My daughter gave up on pitching because she knew she was never going to get into a game. The coaches were becoming more competitive even though we were still playing rec, so they were riding the ace as much as they could. We ended up winning the midseason tournament and the final championship with an overall record of 16-2 or something like that. My daughter continued to improved, but definitely wasn't one of the better players on the team. There were 5 or 6 girls that were definitely a cut above everyone else. The competitiveness was getting a bit too much, IMO, by the end of the season. She'd make a bad play at first and she wouldn't play there again for two or three games. And there was one game where my she she made an error and they switched her to the OF in the middle of the inning. The HC did apologize to me about it the next day.

The league is affiliated with Babe Ruth and put together an all-star team to play in the state tournament. Our coaches were the coaches and 6 or 7 of the players were from our team. They won state easily and went on to regionals and won that as well. In between state and regionals, HC emailed me to say that they were combining with another team to play comp in the fall, and my daughter was being dropped from the team. This was after he had made sure I had registered her for the fall season back in June. He did make sure that she got on another team for the fall through the same club. I saw him a couple of weeks ago and from what he said, it sounded like only 3 other girls were dropped. He said if they have any openings in the spring that they'll give my daughter first shot at making the team, but I don't see that happening.

Now to get to the good part. Our new team started playing last week. It turns out I had actually met the HC at a camp my daughter went to over the summer (his daughters went as well, along with a couple of other girls on the team). The team has some pretty good players along with a couple who have never played before. I'd say my daughter is in the upper half. Being on a new team, my daughter thought maybe she'd have a chance to pitch, so we started practicing a bit before practice started. There are a couple of other girls with some pitching experience but none of them are studs. We only had one practice before the first two games, but my daughter did well enough for the coach to give her a shot.

I was not optimistic because she hadn't thrown off a rubber or to live batters since the disaster last fall, and she was struggling quite a bit when we practiced. I'd say maybe 1/3 of the pitchers were in the vicinity of the strikezone and I was chasing balls all over the yard. The coach put her in the third inning of the first game - we had a 14-1 lead so there was no pressure. Somehow it all came together. She struck out two - both on called strikes, not hitters chasing bad pitches - and didn't allow a run. It was amazing. Even most of the balls were reasonably close.

Practicing with her this week was like catching a completely different pitcher. Almost all the pitchers were close and maybe one or two per session would get by me. They played two more games this weekend and she did well enough that the coach let her pitch two innings each game. I was out of town so I didn't see them, and we haven't had practice yet so I haven't talked to the coach.

The best part is how enthusiastic she is about practicing now. She wants to go out and pitch every day because she's finally getting a chance. And she's more confident in the field because she knows if she makes a bad play she's not going to get pulled. She's gotten a big boost from being one of the better players on the team. The coach asked her if she wanted to try catching - which she's never had any interest in before - and she's going to give it a shot. I think she feels proud that the coach thinks she can do it.

Anyway, after writing this book, my point is that getting dropped by her old team might be the best thing that happened to her. She definitely improved a lot on her old team and held her own with some really good players, but she's already gotten a lot of opportunities on her new team that she was never going to get.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Hard working young players can excel with the right coach and knowing they'll get a fair chance to succeed. Best of luck to her in the upcoming season.

Apr 16, 2013
Congrats! Above all else, I'd offer this advice to give to your DD. She will fail again, she will have bad innings, and she'll also have great innings. A pitcher cannot focus on the bad. I told my DD early on that pitchers must have a short term memory. It doesn't matter what your last pitch was, good or bad. The only pitch that matters is right now. You truly cannot care about how good you've been or haven't been. She's already seen she has the physical ability. Tell her to keep practicing and to keep remembering how much she loves it. Hope she sticks with it. :)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Players develop at different ages, so my best advice is to get on the most competitive team you can, where your DD will be in the starting 9. Avoid the temptation to ride the bench on a "winning" team at 10U and 12U - playing time is more important than W's. I have seen a lot of 10U "studs" who became "duds" by 14U, and some average 10U players become 14U studs. A lot can happen in 4 years! Tell your DD to keep working hard and good things will happen!

Aug 12, 2014
Db:

I coach a lot of kids at camps, and I worry about the expectations you have. It is not a bunch of negatives, errors, not being ready and comparisons or "getting dropped." It is 10u for goodness sakes. It is about learning new things. Why do we expect new players to NOT have disastrous innings? They do; they're learning. Just don't notice it for goodness sakes. It will be a lot easier. And why a coach of a kid is acting like he has top pull players for an error at 10u is beyond me. Who cares about studs? They won't be in a bit.

The only expectations I have for her are that she gets to play, improves, and has fun. She's probably never going to play TB - her choice, she doesn't have the interest in it. My hope (and I hope I'm not pressuring her) is that she'll get good enough to have a chance to play in HS.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
The only expectations I have for her are that she gets to play, improves, and has fun. She's probably never going to play TB - her choice, she doesn't have the interest in it. My hope (and I hope I'm not pressuring her) is that she'll get good enough to have a chance to play in HS.

Your expectations are pretty good. Having fun is the most important part.

That being said, you really don't know what will happen in the next few years. She is getting very close to the age where girls go through tremendous growth spurts, often in very unpredictable ways. A lot of girls in 12u, for example, are at least 3-6" taller than they were a year ago. Sometimes even more. Sometimes less. My DS was short for his age at one point, then grew about 7 inches in as many months, and was the tallest kid in his middle school for a few months. He has only grown about 3 inches since then, if that much. DD #3 went from being short for her age group to tall for her age group in about a year or two.

With the way kids grow in unpredictable ways, a so-so player can turn into a very good player practically overnight. Or not.

The main thing is how dedicated she is to the game. There is no wrong answer. Some extremely talented girls prefer rec ball or low level HS ball (try to avoid varsity). Some girls with average talent get on TB teams and/or make varsity in HS just from outworking everyone. One time an Olympic gold medalist talked with my DS's rowing club for motivation. He said the most talented players aren't always the ones who win.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The coach asked her if she wanted to try catching - which she's never had any interest in before - and she's going to give it a shot.

Warning: Playing catcher can be highly addictive for some kids, and their lives will never be the same. These kids have been known to take pride in large, red welts on their arms, and often do not display a prudent amount of caution regarding putting their body in front of projectiles. Also, the amount of gear you haul around will increase dramatically. Good luck.

Sincerely,
- A catcher's dad

Aug 12, 2014
The main thing is how dedicated she is to the game. There is no wrong answer. Some extremely talented girls prefer rec ball or low level HS ball (try to avoid varsity). Some girls with average talent get on TB teams and/or make varsity in HS just from outworking everyone. One time an Olympic gold medalist talked with my DS's rowing club for motivation. He said the most talented players aren't always the ones who win.

She's really into it right now, but she doesn't have the competitveness that you need for TB. Maybe that will change as she improves.

Aug 12, 2014
We were at practice tonight and who was practicing on the other field - my daughter's old team. She was a bit upset when she saw how many of the players they kept, including one who isn't any better than she is. But the girl's dad is an assistant coach and good friends with the HC, and he has an older daughter who will be back on the team in the spring when they move up. Anyway, my daughter handled it really well. At one point, she was pitching and one of the girls yelled "There's Frances!" and they all looked over to watch her. She was pitching well so hopefully she impressed them a little, becuse the only time they saw her pitch was a disaster. She said she hopes they invite her back next spring so she can turn them down :)

Aug 12, 2014
I'm loving how into pitching she is now. She wants to get out and throw every day. Today practice was canceled (coach thought the field was too wet) so we were going to throw in the backyard. She then decided she wanted to go to the field so she could pitch off a rubber. We get there and the coach is still there, and I told him the field was actually worse on Tuesday and we practiced (he was out of town). We were there for about 40 minutes. I think the coach was impressed that she still wanted to come practice, plus she was throwing really well. The rubber there is about 45 feet from home, so I started out at 35 feet and then kept moving back gradually until I was behind home plate. She was still throwing a lot of strikes from that distance, and her velocity is up quite a bit over the last couple of weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad