General play at 1st question.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Either I've paid more attention, or within a small sample plan, I've seen more of the following lately:

Batted ball fielded by F5 or F6, the throw to 1st carries F3 toward or in the baseline and home plate as the runner is approaching.

What are the rules to this type of play.

Thanks

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Not sure exactly. However during this years college world series a similar play happened where the throw took f3 right into the base runners path. They knocked the snot out of each other. Runner was safe at first. Umpire on that play ruled it incidental contact.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
If a runner crashes into a fielder who is stationary, on the white base and waiting to receive the throw, you may have an interference call and the runner is out.

But when a fielder suddenly and unavoidably moves into a runner's path, it's not the runners fault. You might have a collision, but in this case it's not interference because the defense initiated the contact.

If the fielder collides with the runner BEFORE receiving the ball, then you have a case for obstruction. The obstructed runner is then awarded whatever base the umpire judges she would have reached had she not been obstructed.

If the runner has to slow down or alter her path to the base, before the fielder catches the ball, even if there is no collision this is also obstruction.

If the ball is caught before the contact, then you have incidental contact, neither obstruction or interference. Live play, play on, get what you get.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2013
If a runner crashes into a fielder who is stationary, on the white base and waiting to receive the throw, you may have an interference call and the runner is out.

Let's keep in mind that a runner the term "crash" generally cannot be used when the fielder is not in possession of the thrown ball. If we are talking NCAA, she must be about to receive the thrown ball, not merely awaiting its arrival.

With that said, there of a million variables, including the rules set of course, single base vs. double base, etc.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Not sure exactly. However during this years college world series a similar play happened where the throw took f3 right into the base runners path. They knocked the snot out of each other. Runner was safe at first. Umpire on that play ruled it incidental contact.

Which was the correct ruling in an NCAA game by the way that those umpires are instructed to call the game.

In an ASA or HS game....that play was obstruction on the first baseman.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
When I am teaching girls to play first base, I actually tell them that you should not throw your glove arm out across the base path. It is an easy way to get a separated shoulder. It isn't your error and the runner is safe, anyway. Let the throw go. Let it rebound out from the dugout and hope that RF or C is standing there.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
When I am teaching girls to play first base, I actually tell them that you should not throw your glove arm out across the base path. It is an easy way to get a separated shoulder. It isn't your error and the runner is safe, anyway. Let the throw go. Let it rebound out from the dugout and hope that RF or C is standing there.

Amy, go a step further. Tell the to forget the base and catch the ball in fair territory. If playing the position properly, both feet should be on the dirt in fair territory and the shoulders square to the direction from which the throw is coming. If the throw is wide, move parallel to the foul line staying in fair territory and make the catch, maybe even a tag. But the priority is to catch the ball as you cannot do anything without the ball and you certainly cannot control the bounce or carom once the ball gets by you.

May 11, 2014
Amy, go a step further. Tell the to forget the base and catch the ball in fair territory. If playing the position properly, both feet should be on the dirt in fair territory and the shoulders square to the direction from which the throw is coming. If the throw is wide, move parallel to the foul line staying in fair territory and make the catch, maybe even a tag. But the priority is to catch the ball as you cannot do anything without the ball and you certainly cannot control the bounce or carom once the ball gets by you.

confused by this answer. are you saying the first baseman should play the throw as in infielder(what our coach teaches) or play the throw with a foot on the base and stepping towards the person making the throw(as in baseball).

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I was taught in college (IL. State) to straddle the base and not touch it, until the ball is thrown. That way, I know which foot to put on the bag and which way to stretch. Stretching into the base path is not one of my options. Many times I need to go straight up, using both feet to push off of. And in some rare cases, I have found myself with the toes of both feet on the bag and me with my face in the dirt.

People can't throw.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207