A thread for the umps...what would you do’s, oddball plays, war stories

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2022
This makes no sense. Our job as umpires is to enforce the rules fairly and equitably. It is not to 'punish' players, especially for doing things WE may not think they should be trying to do within the confines of the rules.
My sincerest apologies. Punish was not the right term; should have used affected or influenced or impinged or involved or concerned or instigated or originated or initiated or prompted. Maybe next time you can point out my insistence on using the Oxford comma as well.

Fact is, I couldn't exactly recall the exact rule to apply to that exact situation so I extrapolated from what I thought I knew. I was on my own and nobody questioned me so it stood. I've witnessed many very experienced officials in many sports at all levels that have missed the application of a rule. So I sit here aspiring to be the best official I can be with dozens of games under my belt. But, maybe that isn't good enough for you and I should just give up now instead of sharing what I think I know, expanding what I do know, and supporting a sport I love the best way I know how.

May 27, 2022
You said "obstruct," but did she have the ball? It's definitely dangerous technique, but if she had the ball, she can be there legally.

I think what makes the second paragraph completely fine is "We talked after the game." At that point, you're just someone who knows the game sharing some ideas with a parent. I see nothing wrong with that. You're not coaching her up during the game. You're giving some take it or leave it info to her dad, and you're not currently acting in the role of umpire when doing it.

She was in the way of the runner before she had the ball - so I called obstruction.

May 29, 2015
My sincerest apologies. Punish was not the right term; should have used affected or influenced or impinged or involved or concerned or instigated or originated or initiated or prompted. Maybe next time you can point out my insistence on using the Oxford comma as well.

Fact is, I couldn't exactly recall the exact rule to apply to that exact situation so I extrapolated from what I thought I knew. I was on my own and nobody questioned me so it stood. I've witnessed many very experienced officials in many sports at all levels that have missed the application of a rule. So I sit here aspiring to be the best official I can be with dozens of games under my belt. But, maybe that isn't good enough for you and I should just give up now instead of sharing what I think I know, expanding what I do know, and supporting a sport I love the best way I know how.

I knew where you were going @Agcy. Fact is, many rules seem counter-intuitive ... and these rules are often infuriating. "Common sense" doesn't always work. In this regard, I guess softball is like the English language.

Oxford-comma-humour.png

Dec 15, 2018
CT
To all the umps: Don’t fall into the umpire social media / forum trap.

When we give feedback, we shouldn’t condescend or attack. When we get feedback, we should be open to it and not be defensive.

There’s a way to it without tearing each other apart. I’ve been guilty of both things before, and it’s not a good look (or productive).

May 29, 2015
To all the umps: Don’t fall into the umpire social media / forum trap.

When we give feedback, we shouldn’t condescend or attack. When we get feedback, we should be open to it and not be defensive.

There’s a way to it without tearing each other apart. I’ve been guilty of both things before, and it’s not a good look (or productive).

200.gif

I don't do social media. This as social (or anti-social) as I get.

;) 😋

Feb 13, 2021
MI

Agcy, I am not criticizing your ruling on the field. It was, in the end, the correct call, though perhaps with a little incorrect rules interpretation. You said that you want to grow to be the best umpire you can be. I applaud that effort and am more than willing to help out as much as I am able through this forum.

What I WAS being critical of, was the fact that even now, removed from the game, you cited an incorrect rule rather than (seemingly) getting into the rrule book to figure out what the exact right rule at the exact time was. Doing this is the BEST way to grow. Lord knows I have screwed the pooch on ruling in the past. But, I got into the rule book, talked with other umpires, figured out what I got wrong and why.

May 27, 2022
Agcy, I am not criticizing your ruling on the field. It was, in the end, the correct call, though perhaps with a little incorrect rules interpretation. You said that you want to grow to be the best umpire you can be. I applaud that effort and am more than willing to help out as much as I am able through this forum.

What I WAS being critical of, was the fact that even now, removed from the game, you cited an incorrect rule rather than (seemingly) getting into the rrule book to figure out what the exact right rule at the exact time was. Doing this is the BEST way to grow. Lord knows I have screwed the pooch on ruling in the past. But, I got into the rule book, talked with other umpires, figured out what I got wrong and why.

Did I not say: "In all honesty, probably my mistake; I'll study it more, learn from it, and be better next time."

So, just what are you being critical of? That I didn't leave work in the middle of the day to study up on something to appease an anonymous message board poster? You make a great point. I admitted my probable mistake and that I would study up on it more. And now your critical that I haven't dropped everything to re-read the rule book to be better for something I won't need until next weekend?

I'll need a couple nights to find time to study it properly. And you can continue to be critical of me for my supposed lack of caring until that time.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Did I not say: "In all honesty, probably my mistake; I'll study it more, learn from it, and be better next time."

So, just what are you being critical of? That I didn't leave work in the middle of the day to study up on something to appease an anonymous message board poster? You make a great point. I admitted my probable mistake and that I would study up on it more. And now your critical that I haven't dropped everything to re-read the rule book to be better for something I won't need until next weekend?

I'll need a couple nights to find time to study it properly. And you can continue to be critical of me for my supposed lack of caring until that time.
You obviously had time to get into the rule book and find the two rule references:
Good point. In NFHS (since I know that better), you could argue 7-4-4 and be right, but my thinking was that 3-5-5 was the right call.
7-4-4: Interfering with the catcher - batter is out
3-5-5: Offensive team shall not be near a base when a runner is advancing - runner is out

Instead, you chose to be offended by someone who supports your decision on the field. For some reason, you think I am attacking you over this. I am not. While I disagree with the way you handled the IFF, it is not uncommon for older umpires to think that it is ONLY the PU's call.

I get it, I really do. We all think at times that we are under a microscope, that we need to defend every little thing someone finds to criticize us. Been there, done that, ex got the t-shirt in the divorce.

You say you have been doing this for dozens of games. I applaud you for getting out there and giving back, trying to make the game better. You might think I am just some anonymous forum poster (although how I can be anonymous when I use my name I don't understand), but I and others on the forum have been doing this for dozens of years, at all levels. My advice may be hard at times, I apologize perfunctorily for any offense I may give you or others. I try to make myself understood the way I intend, it doesn't always work. But, I assure you, there are very few who care more about helping others grow in their knowledge and ability to umpire correctly than myself and (if I may speak for them, guys, please correct me if I am out of line on this) marriard and TMIB.

TLDR: The difference between someone critiquing our work and criticizing us personally can be very slight. We need to be able to recognize one from the other and react accordingly. Don't shoot those who are on your side.

May 27, 2022
You obviously had time to get into the rule book and find the two rule references:

Instead, you chose to be offended by someone who supports your decision on the field. For some reason, you think I am attacking you over this. I am not. While I disagree with the way you handled the IFF, it is not uncommon for older umpires to think that it is ONLY the PU's call.

I get it, I really do. We all think at times that we are under a microscope, that we need to defend every little thing someone finds to criticize us. Been there, done that, ex got the t-shirt in the divorce.

You say you have been doing this for dozens of games. I applaud you for getting out there and giving back, trying to make the game better. You might think I am just some anonymous forum poster (although how I can be anonymous when I use my name I don't understand), but I and others on the forum have been doing this for dozens of years, at all levels. My advice may be hard at times, I apologize perfunctorily for any offense I may give you or others. I try to make myself understood the way I intend, it doesn't always work. But, I assure you, there are very few who care more about helping others grow in their knowledge and ability to umpire correctly than myself and (if I may speak for them, guys, please correct me if I am out of line on this) marriard and TMIB.

TLDR: The difference between someone critiquing our work and criticizing us personally can be very slight. We need to be able to recognize one from the other and react accordingly. Don't shoot those who are on your side.

I get it. I did a quick 2 min search on my iPad book this morning before starting work. But, if I am going to study it more, that will be 30-60 minutes of digging to get a full explanation from a few different sources, to align to the different rule books that I umpire for, and to internalize it because I do aspire to be great at it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812