Fun with Blue

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
The dogs woke me up 3:30 a.m. and after letting them go potty, I couldn't get back to sleep right away. So as I lay there with my mind wandering, this TB game popped into my head and I thought that I'd share it. Last year in our last tournament, it was our last pool play game and we were facing a pretty weak team. We've had the Plate Ump before at many different tourneys and IMO, he is one of the best in the area. Throughout the game, he did a great job once again and after we run ruled the other team, we had 15 or so minutes before the next teams took the field. After the teams shook hands, the PU came over and congratulated our Pitcher and Catcher. Then he asked me if he could borrow a bat and have the pitcher throw a few to him. HC and I asked our Pitcher if she would pitch a few more and she got a big grin on her face. Long story short, the PU finally hit a changeup on the 27 th pitch. Our PU, who is in his mid 60's turns to us and says with a huge smile on his face, "Well, it's nice to see I still got it!" It was an absolute blast for everyone involved and I hope, a lasting memory as well. I know it will be for me; especially when I get mad about a bad call. All I have to do is think back on that day and remember that it's still a game for everyone involved.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I am glad that this created a good memory for you and your team. It is a game and it is supposed to be fun.

As an umpire and in an umpire leadership position, I can't condone what this particular umpire did.

Let me ask you this: How would you feel if you were the other team that had just been run ruled and you observed the umpire in the game you just finished doing something like that with the team that just beat you? Would you maybe think their was a different relationship with your opponent and the umpire?

Umpires need to maintain impartiality. Who knows when the actions of this umpire may come back to haunt him in a game with that other team in the future.

Again...not trying to spoil your good memory and experience, just provide the view from the other side of the fence.

Jun 1, 2013
I am glad that this created a good memory for you and your team. It is a game and it is supposed to be fun.

As an umpire and in an umpire leadership position, I can't condone what this particular umpire did.

Let me ask you this: How would you feel if you were the other team that had just been run ruled and you observed the umpire in the game you just finished doing something like that with the team that just beat you? Would you maybe think their was a different relationship with your opponent and the umpire?

Umpires need to maintain impartiality. Who knows when the actions of this umpire may come back to haunt him in a game with that other team in the future.
Again...not trying to spoil your good memory and experience, just provide the view from the other side of the fence.

I feel quite certain that after a 15 run loss margin the opposing team knows they were out matched regardless of any relationship the ump had with other team. A much tighter game and yes I agree 100% and most likely this ump does too.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I once saw a rec league game where the PU called some of the pitchers and catchers over after the game to work with them, and give them some tips. Nobody complained. In fact, the coach of the other team thanked the PU for calling an illegal pitch on his starter. Coach was trying to get her to correct some problems, and having the umpire call IP, then work with the girl after the game, was quite helpful.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now

In the interest of brevity, I left out many other things to the story such as the funny vocal jabs that the players and umpires made, how the other team was asked to participate but still had 2 more games for the day so refused, how the other team stuck around and cheered for the ump and how several other umps who were resting came over to watch and cheer as well. When he got the hit, you'd have thought it was a grand slam to win the championship game in the World Series.

Otherwise, I would agree with your sentiments.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I remember a USSSA ump told me he would love to call his very last game from the stands.

I asked if that was because all the spectators know they can make the calls better from the stands. He smiled. I got it.

Jun 17, 2013
Middle Georgia
I get it....kind of.

I get where you're coming from, but I can think of plenty of times in the past 7 years where we could (and) have done this type of thing. I thought of a question for the op that would make my mind clearer. we played alot over the years in the same areas, same sanctions, and got to know many umpires on a personal level. It was ok, because everybody around did too. We all knew the personalities, and more important the integrity of these umpires. With that in mind, between games, or before and after tournaments everything went. They truly loved the girls, and the girls enjoyed their interactions. I wonder if it wasn't in a similar setting that the op happened. I get there is alot of serious softball going on in settings where that type of thing is taboo. There are also settings, however, where it is absolutely welcome. Thanks for the story.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I get where you're coming from, but I can think of plenty of times in the past 7 years where we could (and) have done this type of thing. I thought of a question for the op that would make my mind clearer. we played alot over the years in the same areas, same sanctions, and got to know many umpires on a personal level. It was ok, because everybody around did too. We all knew the personalities, and more important the integrity of these umpires. With that in mind, between games, or before and after tournaments everything went. They truly loved the girls, and the girls enjoyed their interactions. I wonder if it wasn't in a similar setting that the op happened. I get there is alot of serious softball going on in settings where that type of thing is taboo. There are also settings, however, where it is absolutely welcome. Thanks for the story.

Your welcome. The quick and simple answer is yes it was that type of situation.

Jul 29, 2012
NC
One of my DD's favorite pictures is of a Blue catching her during warm ups while her catcher was getting her gear on. He also did it for the other teams pitcher. She got a big kick out of it after she figured he was serious and wanted to catch her.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
A good friend of mine was behind the plate. After a couple of close calls I yell to him:

ME: Hey Blue, I found your cell phone.

BLUE: You sure it is mine?

ME: Pretty sure. Got a bunch of missed calls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolinesmom