Free Agent

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
My DD is winding up her first year of 16U travel ball with a new team (she will be entering her sophomore year of high school in the fall). She had to move up ahead of her 14U team because her birthday is in October. While DD has had an outstanding season, the team has not. This team is made up of 2 serious players (one of which is my daughter). They don't have practice because the coaches also have a 12U team. We are grateful for the time that they have put in to the team but we are interested in a more competitive, serious team.

So my question is: how do you let other coaches know that she is looking for a team to play on next summer? While I don't want to bash her current coaches (they have done the best that they can), I want to make it well known that my DD is a serious athlete with college softball goals and that we are looking for a team/coaching staff that can help her achieve that. I know that there are several coaches that would be interested in her (some of which have approached us to let us know what an outstanding player she is) but we don't know how to proceed.

Thank in advance for the advice!!!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If you have the contact information of the other coaches I would suggest reaching out to them to let them know that your DD would like to attend their tryouts. This should get a dialog started and you will just have to "feel out" how interested they are in your DD and the position she plays.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
You need to be looking for a Team where your DD is not the best player. It sounds like she is pretty good so you might need to work at it. IDK if the coaches that have approached you would be my first choice.

It sounds like she knows what she wants to do so look for teams that meet that criteria. She might have to play out of your area to find The Team. She needs to work on making the Team she plays on and to get playing time. Some really good Teams do not practice as a Team that much and pull players from different states together to go to tournaments.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
In NJ we have a SB forum that goes off the rails much of the time but the teams in NJ, E. PA and Hudson Valley all post their tryouts. This site is run by the local newspapers so perhaps you can find something in your area that will list the tryouts. You can also google fastpitch softball in your area. ex fastpitch softball teams New Jersey. Sorry if I dumbed down the search to much but with teams in hand you can begin figuring out who to contact and what kind of team they are.

Jul 2, 2013
My DD is winding up her first year of 16U travel ball with a new team (she will be entering her sophomore year of high school in the fall). She had to move up ahead of her 14U team because her birthday is in October. While DD has had an outstanding season, the team has not. This team is made up of 2 serious players (one of which is my daughter). They don't have practice because the coaches also have a 12U team. We are grateful for the time that they have put in to the team but we are interested in a more competitive, serious team.

So my question is: how do you let other coaches know that she is looking for a team to play on next summer? While I don't want to bash her current coaches (they have done the best that they can), I want to make it well known that my DD is a serious athlete with college softball goals and that we are looking for a team/coaching staff that can help her achieve that. I know that there are several coaches that would be interested in her (some of which have approached us to let us know what an outstanding player she is) but we don't know how to proceed.

Why are you waiting for next summer ... if your player is as good as you say.

Why not this fall? Do not say anything.

When playing travel softball at the highest level ... do what is best for DD ... QUICK.

In our world, at this time of year, an early 16U ... with a stud player. The discussion was about the fall. NO promoses of the future was made.

Sounds like you have a stud. Do not even talk about spring. Only fall. If she is as good as you say ... believe you me ... the spring will take care of itself.

Do not not worry about folks who are taking your money, and the talent of DD to make them better.

Let them know your money is good ... and your DD's talent is what THEY want. And decide at the last minute (May).

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH

Sometimes these coaches will find you. If not, like several responses indicate, I would think there is a local tryout resource for you. In Ohio we have Ohio Fastpitch Connection/ The Softball Zone. The teams going the college showcase route will indicate that. There will be teams participating in a variety of college camps and showcase tournaments beginning in the fall after the various nationals. Whatever info isn't stated in a tryout listing or offered at the tryouts are questions you'll have to ask at the appropriate time. You will still have to do your due diligence in getting your player to make contacts with college coaches she would like to be seen by.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
Thanks. We are in a relatively small town (less than 50,000) so I am somewhat worried about stepping on toes but not to the extent that I will have my daughter stay on this team when it is not in her best interests. Fall ball is very limited in this area but there is a league about 2 hours away that we played in last fall - we are trying to get an area (all star) team to play in that. We fight volleyball in the fall unfortunately.
Most of the travel teams around here seem to be "high school affiliated" - which means that there are 2-4 great players and the rest of the players on each team are so-so at best. I wish that the coaches would all get together, put aside their high school loyalties and make 1 or 2 great teams that can compete.
I might have to look at teams in Utah or in the west side of the state (4 hour drive)...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amarie1234